when loose timing chain

K

krikra

As my R is standing in the gararge waiting for my new turbo to arrive I decided to open up and measure the cam/rocker arm gap. Sounded like it was about time to have this checked.

Turned out that my hearing had not been wrong..
Measuring on a cold engine I got everything from 0,11mm to 0,30mm. Most of them being 14-18mm though.

So will now order the needed shims and have them fitted.

Question is; when I remove the chain tensioner and cams (with pulleys) and the chain gets loose(fall down).. will the chain be able to drop low enough for the lower mating mark to move to another tooth??
In other words; Is there room enough for the chain to fall down or is it in some way limited.. If it is (like I hope) I dont have to be that carefull with keeping the chain tensioned at all time. To keep the lower mating mark(gold) at the wright tooth.

Know its probably a little akward but hope you guys can understand what I mean.. :oops:

I was hoping that some of you guys who have been doing the same thing or doing a rebuild could help me out on this..

K

krikra

Thanks Ginga

So thats a way to get the cam timing right if you are not sure if the lower mating mark has moved?

Will probably have to do it that way as I havent been that carefull with keeping the chain tensioned when cams and pulleys where off..