When is a FMIC required

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Just wanting to know when you need to fit a FMIC. I'll run with the TMIC if I don't need a FMIC but if it's an advantage I'll change it. Car is running at 1.1 with the usual supporting parts.

I heard that for track use to run at 1bar the TMIC was not upto the job causing det, has anyone had any experience with this? Other than getting rid of the heat soak/torque increase are they any other advantages or at 1.1 bar would I be wasting my time.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I heard that for track use to run at 1bar the TMIC was not upto the job causing det, has anyone had any experience with this? Other than getting rid of the heat soak/torque increase are they any other advantages or at 1.1 bar would I be wasting my time.
I use a TMIC on track and never had an issue.
When on track you are forcing air over and into your intercooler, only when you stop would you get any heat issues.

I'd keep it unless your going to increase you boost further.

olliecast

colder intake temps means less chance of det, especially when running a bar and over. i used to use my tmic at 1.1 bar and it was fine, but its noticabilly different in the summer with my fmic.
i`d definately not go back to my tmic. You`ve always got the headroom aswell with the fmic on, however though, as andy says, for track stuff when your constantly moving, it may not be as much of an issue. Just rather be safe than sorry though, especially when running remapped motors that are running more ignition advance than normal

Last edited:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Andy, what boost pressure are you running with your motor? also do you run a stock ECU

gtir_pimp

its one of, if not the best modification i ever made. car is noticeably quicker and as i use it on the road and sit in traffic, theres no heat soak. very cheap too! you will definately notice the difference if you get one. i fitted mine too and im not a mechanic. its soooooo easy! And i actually enjoyed doing it. bobby has some for sale

olliecast

I have heard that you get a bit of turbo lag increase when fitting a front mount is this true?
yes slightly depending on what kit you get, you`ve got bigger volume of pipe run than that of standard setup therefore it takes slightly longer to pressurise the system.

In my opinion the gain of fitting a front mount is greater than the small lag penalty

Last edited:

kenan

South West Regional Rep
its one of, if not the best modification i ever made. car is noticeably quicker and as i use it on the road and sit in traffic, theres no heat soak. very cheap too! you will definately notice the difference if you get one. i fitted mine too and im not a mechanic. its soooooo easy! And i actually enjoyed doing it. bobby has some for sale
I'm assuming it was quicker after due to the an increase in torque .

Anyone had the car on a dyno before after for a comparison?

Not worried about heat soak as live in Devon and only drive at the weekends :)

My reason for fitting one would be to stop det as a little extra power dosen't really bother me.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Andy, what boost pressure are you running with your motor?
I only use 0.8-9bar depending on what the gauge says :lol:

I've measured intake temps before and after intercooler (TMIC) and it has been well with in what I would class as an issue. (will have to find the exact figures)

I think there are some advantages for having an FMIC as well as a top mount, but due the hassle of cutting, minimal lag, good intake temps and knock levels not being an issue I’ve kept standard!

I spoke to Geoff (Pine) yesterday and he made an interesting find with cheapo intercoolers and his Forge core. He was saying that the cheapo intercoolers air temps after being cooled were not much better than the outside intake temps!
However after he fitted his Forge cooler the temps dropped quite a bit!
If he see's this topic he might add to it, but overall it was an interesting conversation!

Braveheart

I also use TMIC and use my car on track. Small turbo... small pipe run!
The longer the pipe run, the bigger the lag and the more soft pipe you use, the greater the lag.. like plowing up a balloon.
I quess with a large turbo though it's a bit like hitting the sound barrier... all pumped up and ready to go. Not too much throttle control!

tomgtiR

question bout the cheap ebay coolers are we talking bout the 2fast to cool and autobahn n888s because iv been looking at the hybrid intercooler system just wondering if there any good?

R

riske

I have a hybrid intercooler but its not an ebay jobby. They are great and looks the dogs

P

pulsarboby

thats not the black face one is it caner?
think ive made a booboo and given you the hybrid one i had as i cant find it:doh::lol:

if so you got a right bargain there!

Trip

If i restart my project again, i will be running a GT3071R on a ARC TMIC.. There again. only used for sprints which only last a minute.

I will probably suffer from heatsoak but i will not go for the ebay FMIC. DIY would be my second option.

gtir_pimp

if youre worried about lag then make up your own pipe run! cut the pipes down and use silicone connectors where needed. TBH the lag is hardly noticeable with my autobahn 88 with the usual long pipe run, compared to the top mount. And if youre racing the pulsar on track or sprint etc, then you should be in the right gear at the right revs to not get any lag!

if the intake temps are up on the ebay coolers, you could always use water injection or similar couldnt you? my pipes are all lagged too. i noticed a difference doing this too.

i though that most people who bought the coolers from ebay were well chuffed with them, especially for the money!

Last edited:

Sam_M

I also use TMIC and use my car on track. Small turbo... small pipe run!
The longer the pipe run, the bigger the lag and the more soft pipe you use, the greater the lag.. like plowing up a balloon.
I quess with a large turbo though it's a bit like hitting the sound barrier... all pumped up and ready to go. Not too much throttle control!
Braveheart, have you used your ARC on the track yet?

Jon Olds

Interesting. Got a standard TM modded to be used as a front mount (both cons on same end) but havent tried it yet. Using a forger FM rad and mostly samco pipes. Here are my thoughts to date (no known value...)
1. Cooler is heavy, and a long way forward
2. Cooler screws the airflow to the water cooling rad
3. Pipe work is heavy, and has lots of potential leak points
4. Pipe out of the turbo is a modified standard one, not a brilliant shape.
5. Not sure whether the pipework diameter needs to be so big through the whole run
6. The pipe run is long
7. Underbonnet airflow may not be very good
My setup is a home brewed affair, and I am reasonably happy that I would come to the same answer again, but I have nagging doubts that I need to understand more, to effect a better implementation.
Suspect the only way to find out would be measure temp / pressure round the system and compare it.
Thats my two penneth... Now wheres that charge cooler