Whats the best size of FMIC?

boucherie

Im looking to get my FMIC in the next few weeks, but before i do, i need to know whats the best size to fit behind the bumper. I will most likely keep the bumper as in tact as possible, but also want a fairly big intercooler.

would this one be too big for my plans or do i need a slightly thinner one if i intend to keep the front bumper fairly well intact?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7922147254

Thanks

Nad

Match the intercooler size to whatever max cfm u need to flow for what power ur after. This will give better response than a large intercooler.

Nad

Dan_GTiR

I have the smaller version of this cooler.

I haven't had it fitted yet, but for the price, it seems a very good buy.

Dan. :)

ram5ay

Nad said:
Match the intercooler size to whatever max cfm u need to flow for what power ur after. This will give better response than a large intercooler.

Nad
This may be a stoopid question :roll: , but how do you calculate the max cfm you need for your power? is there a formula, or a rule of thumb or something?? Also is there a way to calculate the flow rate through your cooler??

S

sknevolution

Not a stupid question :D

I did it by using the following info;

1 lb/min = 14.472 CFM

1 lb/min is approx equal to 9bhp

So, for an intercooler capable of supporting 500bhp;

(500/9) x 14.472 = 804 CFM

The flow rate through the cooler can be calculated, but usually they will come with a CFM rating and a pressure drop stated at a particular inlet pressure. For example- 1250 CFM with 1.5 psi drop @ 28 psi inlet.

ram5ay

Cheers for the info :D
I take it you would need a flow bench or the like to measure the cooler flow rate and pressure drop, at a given inlet pressure?

kyepan

more importantly is the end tank design, bad boxy end tanks cause restriction in air flow, and uneven distribution of air within the core... there is a post with a link from a while back.