Weber Carb-Fuel Consumption

J

jack1612

Hi, i've got a late1991 Sunny, 1.4 16V, and it has got a weber carb with a manual choke fitted. I Have only had it on the road for a few days, but the fuel consumption seems awful, worse than my 2.0 primera! I've put NGK plugs in it, and a new airfilter, and was just wondering what else needs doing to sort it out?
There is a sensor on the exhaust downpipe, but the wire has come out the top of it, would this make the consumption bad? I think the car has got a cat.
Also, im not sure how accurate the fuel guage is, as when i first put fuel in the needle was right down under the red, and £15 worth's, didn't even hit the quarter mark. Other than filling the tank up, is there a way of testing it?
There is no low fuel warning light fitted.

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jack

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
jack1612 said:
There is a sensor on the exhaust downpipe, but the wire has come out the top of it, would this make the consumption bad?
Yes!

It's the lambda sensor that the ecu uses to control the fuelling. Fix it and hopefully that will sort your problem.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My old 83 maestro had an ecu and that was a carb model.

If it has a cat I'll be surprised if there isn't an ecu somewhere

Fast Guy said:
My old 83 maestro had an ecu and that was a carb model
Was it an MG 1600? I only ask 'cos I had one years ago, the one with the daft talking dash, etc.

Great little car for the money :wink:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
well i had the 1.3 hle, and it sooked more juice than the pulsar :wink: at the time i wanted the 1.6 as they all had plastic bumpers!! mines had the black metal ones. comfy car though and at the time i thought it was great :lol:

J

jack1612

my parents had a montego 2.0gti estate! was a rust bucket, and a rattle box on wheels! Lol!

I checked the spark plugs on my sunny, and they seem just normal metal colour, with white deposits on them. Does this mean the car is running rich or something? If I get a mechanic to look at it, what sort of things could he do to the carb to sort out the fuel consumption? Would it be best for me to get hold of an original nissan carb, with auto choke?? Or can the Weber be set up?
cheers,

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Plugs sound ok.
Isn't the weber the origional carb? I'm sure someone mentioned before they had one on theirs.
Any carb can be set up as long as the person doing it knows what he's doing :wink:

PS pm me your chasis number and I'll have a look on FAST and see if you have an o2 sensor :wink: