Water Temp Gauge

GTiR_Mic

Yestarday I took the R out for a run to take some photos of it. On the way I had to pull over as there was smoke coming from the engine bay, turbed out the hose from the top of the radiator had split and all the water was gone (It was still at normal temp) Took it to the next town 2 min away, let it cool down and then fill it back up till i got home.

On the way back the temp gauge was sitting fine and then it started to drop, the air from the heaters where still warm. Got it home bleed the system, let it run to temp and then let it cool down and then re-filled it and ran it with the radiator cap off to try and clear the possible air block. Let it cool down again and then filled up the water and took it for a drive. The temp gauage sat at the normal place never went above it but when i was nearing home it started to drop again (Air from hetares still warm).

All the time the hoses from the radiator where warm and you could squeze them.

Anyone got any ides at all? Could it just be an air block?

Mic

GTiR_Mic

Cheers for all the help folks :lol: :lol:

Got a leak down test done on the car today, the head gasket is fine, just have an air block or maybe a fault thermostat.

Mic

GTiR_Mic

Still getting this problem with the tempature gauge.

Will come up to tempature then after driving a bit it will start to go cold, could the air block still be there or will this be a bit more serious?

Mic

antgtir

You have got the blowers in the car on hot and max whilst bleeding haven't you?

Are all the pipes on tight?

Sounds like your doing it how i do mine, fill radiator first from filler cap on rad, the top up expansion tank (50-50 mix) then leave both caps off, start the engine turn on blowers hot and max and wait until the water in the rad starts to expand and nearly bubble over, then put cap back on rad and run it for about 10mins or so then put cap on expansion tank, take it for a run (not hard) then let it cool down and top it up. Run it and keep checking until the water level steady's and you no longer have to top it up after each trip, mine took about a day or so before it leveled out after my rad change.

Think there are two thermostats on these one on the in line and one on the out line, may be worth changing these for what its worth.

Ant.