Vacuum reading on Boost Gauge??

B

beast14

my reading for vacuum fluctuates between 12 and 18............is this normal........if not where should the reading be.............i've got an autometer manual gauge

geetee

Which pipe have you plumbed the meter into in the engine bay.

When you say it fluctuates - do you mean when the car is just idling?

How quickly is it fluctuating? Can you see it going up and down - or just that it's higher some days than others?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

jiw

on my boost gauge when idling i see -0.5 bar of vaccum hope this helps
jeff.

B

beast14

when i start up on mornings it would read 10...........then as i start driving and the car is warmed up it reads between 14 and 18..........the needle itself isn't jumpy but it seems to flutuate sometimes................is this normal or is vacuum supposed to stay the same right through ???

f.y.i.- i have manual autometer 'phantom' series boost guage............

A

ard1ey

When its cold there's an air valve that opens to let the engine idle faster - as it warms up this valve closes so the engine has to suck air past the (almost) closed throttle butterflies creating a higher vacuum at idle.

Nothing to worry about :D

geetee

When its cold there's an air valve that opens to let the engine idle faster - as it warms up this valve closes so the engine has to suck air past the (almost) closed throttle butterflies creating a higher vacuum at idle.
See - you can never stop learning. Always wondered why the vac increased as the car warmed up..... now I can regurgitate that answer on demand and sound like I know something :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

ard1ey

Its probably wrong! I know thats how it works on normal cars 'cause my Haynes manual told me but on the 'R its probably because the flux capacitor is out of position with regard to the teletubby or something :D

Evil complicated car...

geetee

no no no you moron..... only DMC's have flux capacitors.

These R's must be positioned on a lay line before commencing any work - otherwise the evil black witch casts a spell on them - that can only be removed by doing handbrake turns 17 times around the true North Pole on the night of the seven jackals.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B

beast14

still need some advice guys............someone told me that it could mean that the compression is messed up and that's why the gauge fluctuates......