Used HKS Metal Head Gasket

Matt Evans

Hi! Does anyone know if its o.k. to use a second hand HKS 1.2mm head gasket? I don't think that it was used for that long, but some people have said that if a metal gasket has been compressed its useless. :?

geetee

blast it with a blow torch and drop it in a bucket of water.

Works for annealing any copper gaskets....

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Matt Evans

Thanks for the reply dude, but could you be a bit more specific? E.g. How long to 'blast' it for etc. Only, I don't want to mess it up if it is re-usable. :)

antgtir

From a personal point of view i would rather wait a while longer and save for a new one mate, no way would i take the chance of having to strip the head off the engine twice :?

How much is the new and second hand in comparison??

I may be wrong as ive never dealt with metal head gaskets before but if a gasket is fitted once it should then be thrown and replaced with a new one.

Ant. :wink:

Mr GTiR

Not mentioning any names but some tuners say it's fine if the h/g has not done many miles. I sold my old Tomie one having only done 5 miles and the new owners has never compalined.

The choice is yours....

ki_saj_ng

with metal H/G u can use them again n again as long as they aint damaged.

just make sure its not too old and that u cant see any actual damage.

Matt Evans

The gasket seems to have no damage or bad wear at all, and it only cost me a tenner including P+P! :D I just don't know what to do for the best now :?

Incidently, how hard a job is the head gasket on a GTiR, as I've only ever done one on my R5 GT Turbo? Or how much would someone else charge to do it?

T

Toady

its a lot more of a job on one of these than an R5gtt mate, ive done loads on 5's, and just rebuilt my R engine, remember youve got a chain on OH cams on this unlike the 5, and if you do do it remember to get #1 piston to tdc on compression stroke before you strip it down!!!!! :wink:

Matt Evans

I thought the R5 GT Turbo was chain also, but push rod instead of over head cam?

Anyway, is there a post on here somewhere describing how to do it from start to finish?

Plus a list of all parts required? :D