Understanding boost?

A

Andybtsn

I'm trying to see what boost my car is running, I have been told there might be a boost controller on the car and it has been "upped" slightly, however, this is yet to be confirmed.

First thing, what does a bosot controller look like? There's certainly nothing in the inside of the car, so I'm looking for it engine wise, I have noticed something that can be adjusted with a large 'alan key'. I doesn't have any figures or anything showing how mcuh you should turn it or whatnot though?

Also on my boost gauge, it shows 15Psi, what bar is this?

I keep hearing of people running 1.0 bar, and want to run up to 1.4 bar etc. What is the standard bar for a un moified R?

Cheers, any help appreciated.

Andy :)

mattygti-r

0.65 is the stock figure i believe, 1.4 bar your going to have to do a few things to get to that stage

unless you have some type of electronic box in the car (looks like a head unit) then your notrunning an electronic controller , though it could be hidden behind the dash or similar

could be on a "bleed valve".

geetee

15psi is just over 1 bar.

Where is this device with the allen key adjustment? Any pics?

Typically a manual boost controller would be plumbed into the vac/boost pipe to the turbo actuator.

Cheers

A

Andybtsn

Will do...But I guess its a "bleed valve" and I'm going to look silly...

Just someone advised me that the boost controller should be 'tuneable' using an alan key, so i put 2-and-2 together...

Andy

Fire & skill

Vintage member
its not a bleed valve mate, its a manual boost controller - i should know, i fitted it. its often called a grainer valve and is very accurate, will never spike like a bleed valve. it was set to 1Bar boost pressure :)

geetee

ok.... what's the difference between a grainer valve and a dawes device? I know the difference between a bleed valve and a dawes device..... just never heard of a grainer!

Cheers

Dooie Pop Pop

Andybtsn said:
Cheers, any help appreciated.

Andy :)

Fire & skill said:
its not a bleed valve mate, its a manual boost controller - i should know, i fitted it. its often called a grainer valve and is very accurate, will never spike like a bleed valve. it was set to 1Bar boost pressure :)
:roll: :roll: :lol:

why didn' t you just ask Fire & Skill in the first place:lol:

A

Andybtsn

Because fire and skill wasn't the past owner, and I have pestered him with enough questions already.

Cheers