Twin Fuel Pump?

K9ng

I am looking to run an external fuel pump aswell as
my internal walbro to fix the fuel surge problem when on track.
Will it be ok to use my existing fuel lines?

Any help is much appreciated.

TIA

Boooooost

The surge problem is caused by the fuel sloshing away from the fuel pick up, although not everyone has this problem, it seems that lengthening the pick up pipe helps.
Running an external fuel pump alone will not help this you will also need a swirl pot/ surge tank, to maintain a consistant supply of fuel to the engine. Not sure on the fuel lines tho.

Hope this is helpful,
Matt

K9ng

I have a swirl pot was thinking to run another pump to give constant supply.
Was unsure whether to use existing lines or put new one in?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
One thing with using twin internal pumps.. If one fails you will run lean and you will likely damage something in the engine..

Run one massive pump, if it fails the engine just cuts out. Its a safer option..

I'm sure Kieron may have a better idea, but thats just off the top of my head..

Rishi

Fusion Ed

I can't see any problem. Its done allot on the cars I have mapped recently. Swirl pot with its own pump fed by the tank pump. It is always better however if you can just get the problem made better before trying to patch over it, i.e. lengthen the pipe, and perhaps swirl pot as well.

Keira

i think what he means is he wants to run.

lifter pump from tank to swirlpot.
seperate pump from pot to rail
return back to pot
overflow from pot to tank

personally i'd make up new lines for that sort of set up

nowt specifically to do with a swirlpot set up but as rishi says, one huge main pump to the rail is better than 2 if your using them for big power as if it cuts out unexplicably the car dies, i did look at running a pressure switch with my twin pump pot ( i would've had 3 pumps ) so if one died it would cut the other one out but at the end of the day my new motto is its best to keep things simple..so thats another part i wont be using :lol: I'll now be running 1 smallish sumped and baffled tank with one huge fuel pump

Last edited:

K9ng

RishiGTiR said:
One thing with using twin internal pumps.. If one fails you will run lean and you will likely damage something in the engine..

Run one massive pump, if it fails the engine just cuts out. Its a safer option..

I'm sure Kieron may have a better idea, but thats just off the top of my head..

Rishi

Surely if one fails the other will have enough to run the engine
I have a walbro in tank.

The only time i get the surge is on track,
I may leave alone and just make sure I have over half a tank of fuel.

Fusion Ed

Change the pick-up to a better one. Bear in mind with a setup like this the pumps are in series, if anyone of them failed the system would stop working, the pump in the tank is also under very little load, so there is little more chance of a fuel pump related failure than with your single pump you have now.

P

pulsarboby

K9ng said:
Surely if one fails the other will have enough to run the engine
I have a walbro in tank.

The only time i get the surge is on track,
I may leave alone and just make sure I have over half a tank of fuel.

you will still get surge on track unless you either run with a minimum of half a tank, fit a swirlpot with another pump, or you do as keiron has suggested and fit either a foam or baffled tank!

i have purchased an attain swirlpot with an inbuilt walbro which keeps a constant supply of fuel. the attain tank is around 10'' in lengh and around 3'' depth but is constantly pressured with fuel!
these are also easy to mount as they are small and take up minimal room, ideally fitted under the bonnet on top of the battery tray
if you need any more info then pm me and il give you more details on them!

K9ng

pulsarboby said:
i have purchased an attain swirlpot with an inbuilt walbro which keeps a constant supply of fuel. the attain tank is around 10'' in lengh and around 3'' depth but is constantly pressured with fuel!
these are also easy to mount as they are small and take up minimal room, ideally fitted under the bonnet on top of the battery tray
if you need any more info then pm me and il give you more details on them!

Does the attain swirl pot come with the pump or did you buy that seperate?

P

pulsarboby

yep it comes with an internal walbro fitted, probably the best kind of swirlpot ive seen, and most compact too!

P

pulsarboby

yep thats the kiddie!
havent fitted mine yet, but will do before the cars on circuit.

J

jpward

pulsarboby said:
yep thats the kiddie!
havent fitted mine yet, but will do before the cars on circuit.
Bobby what flow/power figure does the walbro safely max out at?

I work it out at 582hp at 3Bar

An article I read recently had a guy from the states who installed an inline NOS fuel pump and had this wired into the EMS so that at over 1Bar the secondary pump would kick (his stock pump calculated to max out at about 1.5Bar worth) in his reasoning was that he wanted to keep the return line fuel as cool as possible and he did not fit a swirl. Does anyone know what sort of temp increase there is in the fuel after running a while back through the swirl pots system? :? and above what sort of flow firure do you think its a good idea to fit one?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
jpward said:
Bobby what flow/power figure does the walbro safely max out at?

I work it out at 582hp at 3Bar

Now remember that its 550 - 600bhp odd at 3bar base fuel pressure.. In reallity your rising rate fuel pressure will be up at 5bar when at full boost achieving 550 - 600bhp.. Walbro will be way past its limit there..

You are looking at a safe bet of 450bhp with a Walbro

J

jpward

RishiGTiR said:
Now remember that its 550 - 600bhp odd at 3bar base fuel pressure.. In reallity your rising rate fuel pressure will be up at 5bar when at full boost achieving 550 - 600bhp.. Walbro will be way past its limit there..

You are looking at a safe bet of 450bhp with a Walbro
Ahhh interesting forgot about dialing in the extra boost must take another look at it tomorrow.

So hows life on the ranch? You anywhere near Norwoods place? Be worth a visit if you could!