Turbo re-build kit

Well, I got so fed up of my turbo smoking and using oil I decided to go for a kit I saw on ebay last week (the garrett t28 rebuild kit). I didn't really care if it was going to work at first as I had to try something and for £40 why not?
Anyway, at the weekend I took off my turbo and stripped it all down. I spent ages cleaning it and polishing the shaft which I thought was important.
I rebuilt the turbo with all the new parts and fit it all back to the engine...........

Very impressed so far!!! no more smoke at all, no shaft play at all and it seems like a new turbo. Time will tell but for now I'm pretty impressed 8)

j0ff

Awesome :)

Always wondered about the long-term benefits of rebuilding a turbo yourself. I've a shelf full of old T3's from old projects i'll have a play with first...

As you say, time will tell.

Yer I thought I'd give it a go, nothing to loose really. The only thing to be careful with is putting the compressor wheel and nut back on the shaft exactly as it was. Some forums i read say you have to get it all balanced again but surely if you put it back together exactly as it was before, nothing has changed........the only rotating mass is the saft and two wheels.

No doubt in a month or so I'll update this post with 'Oh sh*t it's gone again' hahaha

P

pulsarboby

does this mean you wont be needing the turbo then?
weve just removed it from car and was gonna pm you today
if not its not a prob as ive a waiting list of people after it

does this mean you wont be needing the turbo then?
weve just removed it from car and was gonna pm you today
if not its not a prob as ive a waiting list of people after it
To be honest mate I am still interested but the money situation isn't very good at the moment. I still want a bigger turbo but struggling to get the money together. Rather than mess you around it's probably best for me to pass this time. I did have some money put put by but have had to use that on bills now. Thanks for your help though in trying to find me one.

How much were you looking for and what turbo is it just incase I can afford it? lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The aseembley balance doesn't really effect small turbos too much, its more of an issue with larger units
Ok, that makes sense now.

It's one of those things were there seems to be a lot of division: is it a waste of time rebuilding it yourself because you don't have the equipment to do it correctly (thus it won't last and you may have wasted the time and money); or is it just about the best and most cost-effective thing you can do if there's nothing else wrong with the unit other than some of the seals are a bit old?

There seem to be equal numbers of people saying their rebuild didn't last and that they should have paid for a new one (or a professional), and those who say it's cheap and easy and they've never had a problem with a home rebuild.

If it's more to do with the size of the turbo it makes more sense; generally it's the smaller OEM units that people are rebuilding with an eBay kit, so they're probably alright. If you've got a big after-market one, it's better going back to a professional?

yer at 100k rpm the slightest inbalance will surely kill the turbo... I made sure i put it all back as it was though, scribed a line down shaft, nut and compressor wheel. Still going ok so far, but it's only day 3 haha.

I think your right pobody.. most people tend to rebuild these smaller turbos. I too read a few forums where home re-builds didnt last long but to be honest I'm not that bothered if it does go wrong again as I learnt something new taking it apart and it only cost me £40. As long as it tides me over until i can afford a bigger turbo then I shall be happy :)