Transmission problem :(

N

neomccollum

lately I have noticed that my car was having troubles getting into first gear... yesterday in rush hour traffic it was "popping" out of first gear if I let off the gas a bit as I was in first, then when I got back into the gas it would make a terrible grinding noise as if it was half in gear. Then on my way home from work.... It wont go into first at all!, just makes that half engaged grinding noise when I try. holding the shifter it feels like it's in gear when I put it in first, but when I start to let out the clutch it feels like it slips out and then it grinds. I would really appreciate some advice on what to do about it. If anyone has come across this problem before please help me out!!! I don't know much about Clutches and Trannys, if it's a clutch problem I wouldn't know how to tell, or if it's the tranny... I live in Canada and it's not like I can just go and buy a new transmission from the dealer.... I talked to a parts guy at the dealer and he said he could only order the parts to fix it, and maybe not all of the parts.

P

pulsarboby

sounds as though the selector is kaput in gearbox, (not holding gear) or possibly a worn gear sprocket, which is throwing the gear out when you try and engage it!

i dont know a great deal about the internals of these boxes as ive never stripped one before.
but i would have thought that the box would have to be removed to replace the selector, although someone else who knows a little more, may tell you different!

but i can tell you, that its not a clutch problem!

markturbo may give you more info as i think he has stripped a few of these boxes;-)

N

neomccollum

Thank you, I have another tranny I'm gonna be putting in, I was just wondering if it was gonna last the week it takes to get the other one checked out and fixed if there's problems