track day advice

J

Jon

maybe a bit obvious but

get to know the track b4 giving it some heavy pedal
USE your mirrors like uve never used them b4..check em b4 entering corners/bends & use the correct line out of a corner & use em again on exiting.
hopefully u have non standard breaks..if not, take it easy on heavy breaking
If your fortunate enough to have the track to yourself on some corders/bends, try different approaches/exits at different speeds
MIRRORS again :D
not that im a pro but look out for other track users that suddenly forget there's other people using the same track and decide to aim at you like your a ghost car on Grand Turismo :shock:
they make it round a corner & your left in the sand trap or a wall :evil:

umm....just keep cool & enjoy it :)

L

Little Miss Road Rage

Keep your eyes open use the steering wheel and don't be afraid to back the steering off a bit if u get some understeer. Feel the car feather the throttle if u have to. Don't put your thumbs in the steering wheel and act like your on the track with a load of "can't drive" chavs.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Uncle Winnet said:
yes it is im going to run it on 14 ive got drilled and groved breaks up front and groved on rear and ebc green stuff pads all round

john
Elvington is a good arifield track, nothing to hit and very fast but I have seen someone come off it once and go in to the field :lol: :lol:
Don't do that, it hurts.

The tarmac is very abrasive and will kill tyres if you drive it properly.

There's a few good posts kicking around on trackday preparation for the car and yourself.

Most of it obvious, but in the briefing for Trax they tell you to...

Erm, wear a helmet.

keep your windows wound up (so if god forbid you roll it, your arms don't leave the car. Also helps with strengthening the roof...)

put tape over your lights (incase they smash, they won't leave bits of themselves on the track)

add a little more psi to tyres than normal (not essential)

cover your arms and legs.

don't apply the handbrake or keep your foot on the brake pedal on leaving the track (otherwise you'll weld your disks to your pads :lol: )

don't carry anything in the car: money, cd's, absolutely nowt

gradually increase speed over the slot...

if it's a long stint, have a cooling off lap somewhere in the middle to let everything chill for a bit...

O

Olly

last lap cool the car down and drive easy cos when you pull off the heat builds up a goodun, and in a R see how high you can get the oil temp 125 degree's C i did round good wood but look in your mirror if you see smoke at top of 4 th into 5 th then pull off cos your oil roasted. :lol: 8)

Mr GTiR

John

let me know when it is cos i'll come and watch. I put my money on Kieron in his Corsa or Evo :p

LOU ROB

Olly just said what I was gonna say 8) Keep an eye on the temp gauges and make sure you let the car cooldown before you decide to take it on the track and give it another pasteing :wink:
And if you drive it to and fro to the events, KEEP AN EYE ON WATER AND OIL LEVELS :shock:

Mark N

I've not been on the track yet with the R, but have a few times with my old car which was a cosworth.

I'd make sure the car is running well, also if you haven't changed the brake fluid for a while i'd do that (put some decent stuff in), you'll notice the brakes are the first things to start to go!
Some people say put more air in the tyres but in my opinion i'd take some out, because as the tyres get hot the PSI goes up. Mine use to go up 5 - 10 PSI, it's like driving on water then! :wink:
Like everyone else has said use your mirrors, get use to the track and just go out and enjoy it. :D