Toyo Proxies TS-01

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here. Now the winter is coming I'm looking at taking my MR2 off the road and using the Pulsar again. I'll be heading up to Scotland at the end of the month so want to put some new tyres on the car. Has anyone had any experience of the Toyo Proxy TS-01's?

Cheers,

Ben

Tony

toyo`s are the best tyres i have used so far!!!

BFG profilers arnt bad either!

New cotinental conti sports arnt as good as th 1`s i had 2yrs ago!!! think they are using a new compound :cry:

Tony....

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies. I've called about and had a look online and I can get either 4 delievered for (205/40/17) £249.99 or my mate can supply and fit them for £262.

Wonder how the car will fair in an MOT as it's been standing for over a year?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Ben said:
Now the winter is coming I'm looking at taking my MR2 off the road and using the Pulsar again.
How Bizzare, that's exactly what I'm doing too. What '2 do you have?
..and I've got to get my car through its MOT first
..and I need to get some new tyres first!!!!

..but I'm not heading up to Scotland.

I've got Toyo Proxes (old type) on mine, they've been a good tyre for what its worth. Better than a lot of the rubbish out there.

Jim

A

Anonymous

:D See, these Pulsar owners just don't know the fun of rear wheel drive.

I've got a 1993 GT-S Turbo that I've done a little work too including,
Full engine rebuild (forged pistons, etc)
TTE Steal head gasket
Fensport Stage 3 CT-26
Water / Methanol Injection
Spearco Intercooler + 8" Spal fan
Walbro 255lh high pressure fuel pump
Supra Injectors
3" exhaust from turbo back (Aussie dp, Mongoose exhaust)
Nemesis 2 complete standalone EMS running all of the car systems, plus launch control and anti-lag.
Nitrous Express Stage 1 EFi 75 shot (waiting to be installed)

I've got a strong street map on the car at the moment, but really need to get to a rolling road soon. Should be looking at around 330 - 350hp at the rear wheels at 28psi without nitrous.

Fun though the MR2 is, it's a little inpractical now in this weather. Put your foot down in the first three gears and it just lights the back wheels up.

A

Anonymous

I said MR2 not Audi TT! I can just imagine a hair dresser turning up with the anti-lag popping away!

K

KrissJ

Toyo have now started doing the T1-R (new version of the T1-S), which is supposed to be even better in the wet (the strongest point of the S) and dry and doesn't wear down as quickly, which is the biggest draw back with them. They're very well priced as well.

If you've got a bit more cash try the Toyo R888. Its a road legal track tyre and from what I've heard its supposed to be rediculously grippy in the dry and also very good in the wet. Its a medium-soft compound and apparently doesn't wear down 'that' quickly and the tread pattern looks 8) . I'm probably gonna try them out next and have found them for £400 for 4 on the net by doin a google search so they're not that much really either.

J

J-GTi-R

KrissJ said:
If you've got a bit more cash try the Toyo R888. Its a road legal track tyre and from what I've heard its supposed to be rediculously grippy in the dry and also very good in the wet. Its a medium-soft compound and apparently doesn't wear down 'that' quickly and the tread pattern looks 8) .
Hmm, I know of one 205 GTi that got through a set in 3000 miles and the car wasn't even hammered that much. Still, I'll be trying a set next regardless... 8)

LOU ROB

I use the Toyo T1-R and I think they are very good. 8)
It's the best tyres I've had so far and i've gone through a lot of diffrent makes.
Haven't tried road legal slicks though...yet :wink:

Nad

J-GTIR said:
Hmm, I know of one 205 GTi that got through a set in 3000 miles and the car wasn't even hammered that much. Still, I'll be trying a set next regardless...
If u got look on MLR, as there is a long thread on tyres etc, compared to other track type tyres 3000miles is shed loads of mileage!!

Nad

Edited to actually put correct quote in!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Ben,

that's one hell of a setup for the '2. I find it bad enough running 1 highly modified car let alone 2. My '2 is a 91 NA with usual bits to take it up to 165hp. I sill enjoy the handling and this is where most of money has gone in tweaking it for the track. I bought a rev 1 as it has the manual steering and track biased geometry. Turbo's weren't really around at the time as the import market had not started.

And before anyone starts I am now very used to hairdresser comments but the number of times I've had people sit in the car on the track and say I thought this was a hairdressers car I don't care anymore :roll:

I personally believe RWD is more fun but 4WD is the only way to put down 350hp on our roads in the winter like yourself so bought a Pulsar.

For your tyres.... There's more upto date advice than I can give on the Web, www.mytyres.co.uk has some good links. Good prices too but last time the local garage stung me for fitting them. I'm just hijacking the thread really :wink:

Jim

M

memski

I'm running toyos atm and they are very good, but tbh I think the Eagle F1 Gs2d's were better in the wet (had those on my 17s with a 205 width, and the toyos now are 215 on my 16s). Can't complain for the price of the toyos though :)

A

Ash10

KrissJ said:
Toyo have now started doing the T1-R (new version of the T1-S), which is supposed to be even better in the wet (the strongest point of the S) and dry and doesn't wear down as quickly, which is the biggest draw back with them. They're very well priced as well.
I'm running T1R's - no complaints so far... :D

Keira

jaigtir said:
where is the best place to get the t1-r's from?
What you asking for jai ??

i was under the impression that the only rubber you were intersted in was black with a hood and zips all over it and you only wore it at weekends :shock:

J

jaigtir

i was under the impression that the only rubber you were intersted in was black with a hood and zips all over it and you only wore it at weekends
-Please Kieron, we dont want to know what you get up to with mike in your spare time. He is married now Kieron, so your secret rendezvous's will have to be less frequent. I think you should keep you personal life out of the forum :twisted: :wink: :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Well I've had the Toyo TS-1's on the car for a week now and they are fantastic! There is so much more grip availible than the Dunlop SP9000's they replaced. The wet performance is spot on, no sliding or wheel spinning when planting it through twisties or roundabouts, in fact the grip feels just as good as it does in the dry.

Lets see how they cope in the snow at Scotland in a couple of weeks!

The tyres cost me £262 for 4x 205/40/17 fitted and balanced from my friends at RM Tyres in Rochester (Kent). They can get the TR's for £4 more but as they are new and there isn't much feedback I opted for the TS's.

Give them a call and speak to either Barry or Phil, say Ben with the MR2 sent you and the number is 01634 716336. They are on the Medway City Estate just behind the Vauxhall garage (opposite the drive thru).