TMIC Idea

Nad

Being that in most competition regulations u can lift the rear of the bonnet by 13mm, I was thinking that it may be possilbe to lift the TMIC up a little. This would leave enough space underneath to apply some of that heatshield fabric/board with like box sections coming up both sides and venting out towards the new opening at the back of the bonnet. Would help to stop heatsoak in circumstances where the TMIC has to be kept, just a thought really.

Nad

pete-r

thinking too much can make people do crazy things.like the yank who strapped a couple of mig engines to his car and fired himself into the side of a mountain :shock: .

classic case of thinking too much. :wink:

K

KRS

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is classic!

Good idea though Nad, dont let this lot stop you thinking ;)

GINGA

pete-r said:
thinking too much can make people do crazy things.like the yank who strapped a couple of mig engines to his car and fired himself into the side of a mountain :shock: .

Pmsl yeh I remember that :lol: only in the Us :roll:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
pete-r said:

Is that a different one to the guy who fitted a JATO (jet assisted take off pack) from a Hercules to his car or a casr of chinese whispers :wink:

The Arizona (U.S.) Highway Patrol came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded 150' up the side of a cliff rising above the road, on the outside of a curve. The wreckage resembled the site of an airplane crash, but on further investigation it became apparent that it was a car. The type of car was unidentifiable at the scene. The boys in the lab finally figured out what it was, and what had happened. It seems that a guy had somehow got hold of a Jett Assisted Take Off unit (JATO), actually a solid-fuel rocket that is used to give heavy military transport planes an extra `push' for taking off from short airfields. He had driven his Chevy Impala out into the Arizona desert, and upon finding a long, straight stretch of road about three miles long attached the JATO unit to his car. He jumped in, got up some speed, and fired off the JATO!! As best as could be determined, he was going somewhere between 250 and 300 mph (350-420kph) when he came to that curve. . . The brakes and tires were completely burned away, apparently from trying to slow the car.

A

Allan GTI-R

Nad said:
Being that in most competition regulations u can lift the rear of the bonnet by 13mm, I was thinking that it may be possilbe to lift the TMIC up a little. This would leave enough space underneath to apply some of that heatshield fabric/board with like box sections coming up both sides and venting out towards the new opening at the back of the bonnet. Would help to stop heatsoak in circumstances where the TMIC has to be kept, just a thought really.

Nad
there's a guy here in Sydney who told me about this once, (without doing anything to the bonnet) by fitting some spacers under the tmic to push the intercooler a few mm higher up - they found the temps were noticeably cooler.

Not freezing ice cold huge difference - but a noticeable difference anyway.

As for the heatshielding as well - you sound like you have a lot of time on your hands :p

Nad

Allan GTI-R said:
there's a guy here in Sydney who told me about this once, (without doing anything to the bonnet) by fitting some spacers under the tmic to push the intercooler a few mm higher up - they found the temps were noticeably cooler.

Not freezing ice cold huge difference - but a noticeable difference anyway.

As for the heatshielding as well - you sound like you have a lot of time on your hands :p
Yeah I was only commenting on the 13mm bonnet lift as I would only keep the TMIC if I had to for rally regs so would lift the bonnet up so the the TMIC could be lifted up as high as possible. What u mean too much time on my hands regarding heatshielding. If u have seen the solid board stuff the jobs easy, just make a box without a lid by folding up 3 side and leaving the rearwards one down.

Nad

DavidGTiR

It is a good idea but you would need to allow the air to flow right through the fins of the intercooler to drop the temps enough. You couldnt block one side (ie the bottom) with the heatshield as this would create a trap for the hot and cold air.

Nad

DavidGTiR said:
It is a good idea but you would need to allow the air to flow right through the fins of the intercooler to drop the temps enough. You couldnt block one side (ie the bottom) with the heatshield as this would create a trap for the hot and cold air.
Im not that stupid :wink:

Go back and read my first post.

J

jiw

if i get chance i will record the inlet temps on the arc cooler i have fitted, then the standard tmic to compare against, then i will raise the bonnet and cooler to see what happens, probably wont get chance for some time now though, other things to do, jeff

DavidGTiR

Nad said:
DavidGTiR said:
Im not that stupid :wink:

Go back and read my first post.
Read it properly :D