Ticking AVC-R solenoid ?!

youngsyp

I just wanted to know if this is a common occurence or not ?!

It's been happening for quite some time now and finally figured out what it was yesterday. Basically, when the car boosts to about 5 psi and beyond, the solenoid ticks away like a demented relay. Ti, ti, ti, ti.....etc... The ticking always stays at the same speed too !
Doing some reading around last night and apparently it's just the solenoid working as usual, the noise is quite common and nothing to worry about. Is that true ?

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

kirko

i would check all the connections buddy
it shouldnt be ticking away like you described
is the car boosting as it should ?

youngsyp

Yep, car boosts up fine and holds it no problem !

I have it on my list to check all the hoses though but, according to numerous other forums, this ticking is quite normal with most boost solenoids ?!

pesh90

I've got an AVC-R fitted on my R, i get the same ticking noise which you describe, plus my mate has one fitted on his subura and it makes the same noise..I would'nt worry about it, unless I'm wrong :oops:

kirko

my avcr solenoid doesnt click like a demented cricket:der:
in fact ive never heard it:?
it must be better than all yours:thumbsup:

Chiffs

Did you mount them using the rubber base? Thats why you prob cant hear them, also depends where its mounted.

youngsyp

Just a quick update. I had a fiddle with the solenoid at the weekend and loosend the fixing screws ( I did use the rubber mounting pad), just enough so that if you rock the solenoid, it will move a tiny bit. Seems to have fixed the problem as, I can't hear it at all now !
Just to add, I've mounted mine just under the air filter and MAF, near the N/S suspension turret.