Teensie gearbox problem!

T

TweakEm

I was driving home from work the other day when I noticed my car not wanting to select gears properly! Then it decided to jam in 4th and stay there until I managed to get home :(

I have since been able to use my shifter to try and select gears but nothing happens when I lift my foot off the clutch other than the car lurching and trying to stall. If I put the shifter in the 4th gear position there is drive, it's just other gears it won't select. Has 4th gear jammed somehow?

Someone suggested it could be the gear selector inside the gearbox that's gone. Any ideas anyone? And how much would it be to fix?

Cheers (P.S. I used to love my car :cry:)

O

Olly

From what you say sounds like your selector has broken and your stuck in 4 th gear, hence when you stick it in anything else it gets 2 gears and jams/ locks up. Box out and might as well exchange it or overhaul it. Get a price for box off gti-r spares. 8)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
You need to get the gearbox out and taken apart...

Should cost around £325 for some one to remove, fix simple problem and put back again...

But if you've completely buggered your gearbox then expect to pay more...

Its a good excuse to get a Quaife Box anyway...

Rishi

T

TweakEm

Cheers guys, don't think I've quite got the money for a quaiffe box at the mo so think I'll stick with the rebuild!

Just need to find somewhere around here that'll do it for me relatively cheaply now :?

skiddusmarkus

Mine did the same thing and it was a broken 3/4 selector and smashed 3rd gear.Make sure you take it to somoene who really knows what they're doing as I had to have mine rebuilt again after 500 miles because it wasn't operating correctly.