Sunny front speakers

J

jack1612

hi, i want to change the speakers in my Sunny. The ones in the front door are 6x4", mounted in a circular plate. Taking the plate put, would 6.5" speakers fit in there? What do people think of JBL?
Also, there are no speakers in the rear of the car. Instead of fitting any in the parcel shelf, has anyone tried fitting them into the side panels, next to the rear seats?
Cheers!
Jack

S

SunnyGTi2.0

Several people have fitted 6,5'ers in the front, so its possible (if a little tight).

Rear speakers in the side panels would be a bad idea, I think. The panel is too soft and would flex a bit when you turn up the volume, ruining the sound. I you really want rear speakers you would be better off mounting them in the parcel shelf.
But, my suggestion is to put a bit more money into the front speakers, connect them to an amplifier instead of the crappy amp in the cd-player (normally no more than 10w rms or something), and put a small sub in the boot. This will give you a much more clean and correct sound.
The front speakers are the most important thing in a stereo.

J

jack1612

Yeah was thinking about just the front speakers and the sub. Have got JBL's in the front of my primera, and think they are great speakers, but the bass isn't brilliant, so a sub would go well. Which size speaker would it be best to fit into the front doors? Are the Pulsars a 6x4 speaker as standard, mounted in a bigger plate? I may have to trim the door card a bit. Would component speakers be a better option?
Jack

I have 8" Phase Linear Alliante with dynaudio crossovers and tweeters in the back side panels in custom pods. Inside of the panels also fully dynamatted along with the rest of the car. Was a lot of work but worth it for some good quality rear fill when playing dvd :D .Usually have front end only with sub for audio though :wink:

7" will go in the front by trimming the door card back to match the plastic front grill. only takes a couple of mins to do so the bigger the better :D