strange sound when boosting (SOLVED)

K

krikra

The sound comes and goes with the boost. As soon as the turbo spools up the sound begins.. Its a tapping / ticking noise almost like the one from valves that need shimming.. BUT EVEN WORSE and only when boosting.

I get the usual boost on my boost gauge but the car doesnt feel as quick as it used to be..

I just fitted a Phoenix Power front mount, HKS BOV, HKS Air filter, HKS spark plugs, SARD fuel pump + the things I cant remember

Need some help as it is really annoying and I dont want to drive the car before I am sure that nothing is taking damage.. :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Pinking (det)? Have you tried an ecu fault code check?
What octane fuel are you using?

K

krikra

Thanks for the answers!

I use 95 fuel and 98 every time I can have it..

Will do a ECU fault code check in a few minutes.. We will see what comes out..

Dont understand if it is pinking.. As I've just installed a SARD 280l/h fuel pump + I'm still at standard boost..??

Curtis

Could well be pinking if you only use 95 octane fuel. Don't forget these cars come over from Japan set up for 100 RON. If you had a bad batch of fuel it could be even lower....
:shock: Has this happened after several fill ups?
Might be worth checking the timing and having a RR set up. Money well spent if you ask me.

K

krikra

Just tried running the ECU fault code procedure. Came out with 55 = nothing wrong..

Also tried this lean/rich self test procedure and that was OK too..

Have filled up the car at least two times and at different gas stations so I dont think the fuel could be "bad"

It doesnt make any sence - I havent upped the boost - only fitted front mount, better fuel pump, new spark plugs, new air filter. Nothing that should suddenly make the engine start pinking..?

It doesnt only happen when i give it full throttle. Its also when just a little boost.. As soon as the boost starts building up this pinking-like sound appears ??????

K

krikra

Curtis\

My car came from germany and has always been run on 95 and 98 fuel without problems..

Curtis

krikra said:
Curtis\

My car came from germany and has always been run on 95 and 98 fuel without problems..
That's why I though it might be just a bad batch of fuel, but if you've filled up since and it's still there I guess that rules that one out?

Could be that your turbo is on the way out, that can create all sorts of odd noises. Have you noticed any smoke out of the exhaust?

I think you only way you'll find it quickly and for sure is to get the car on a RR and spool the turbo up with you head under the bonnet and work out where the noise is coming from.

K

krikra

NO smoke and NO use of oil or water..

You're right.. It would be wonderfull to have the car on the RR with open bonnet and listen to the sound from there..´

Because it only appears when under load (as do the boost)

Curtis

Good luck finding the cause and good luck against Sweden tonight. :wink:
My brother-in-law in Danish so I'm around their house tonight to watch the game. 8)

Dan_GTiR

Hi there.

Sounds like a problem I had with my old Rover 600 Turbo. Strange ticking noise like you described, also a loss in power.
I also had no apparent change in boost pressure. This was strangley pussling. :? :?

Drove around like this for weeks, it wasn't till the water pump failed and seized the engine that I found out what this annoying problem was.
Turned out to be that the turbo exhaust housing had cracked between the smallest point across the waste gate and the turbine blades.

Hope this can help.

Cheers

Dan :)

K

krikra

It isnt the car running lean.. (Pinking)

And it isnt the new BOV..

2 different "turbo-experts" have looked/listened to the car and none of them can give me an answer.. :(

I will now have to try and fit the top mount again and see if it has anything to do with the new intercooler and piping.. If the sound is still there I guess it must be the turbo :?: Like your Rover was Dan-GTIR

K

krikra

Took of the turbo and found that there was to much shaft play and the turbine housing had cracked 4 places. So its time for a new turbo. Possibly the disco potato..