sticky injector

nitrosgti-r

whats the best way to fix one? Im gonna try a bit of redex and then take an injector plug off the car and swing it over and see what happens, anyone advice against this? Or, any help at all??

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Try something like acetone? It's dipolar and aprotic!

Sorry; I'm a chemist.
The advantage of it is that it's dipolar so it works with water... which is polar, but aprotic so it doesn't hydrogen bond... and it will work with organics (like petrol)... which means it will dissolve quite a few things that might be gunking-up an injector (and it's a really good way to 'dry' something because it pulls the water off, then evaporates away - it will also work as an emulsifier). Plus it's a small molecule so it's volatile (and evaporates off quickly), and it's combustible (so if it's gets into the cylinders it won't do any damage).
As long as the injectors aren't made of acrylic (poly-methylmethacrylate) the acetone won't damage them so you loose nothing if it doesn't work.

Next step would be to give them a bath in a mild solvent and ultrasonic them... but most people don't have an ultrasonic bath they can use.

Last edited:

nitrosgti-r

Hi mate, thanks for the reply and your help. Would methenol work as i have some in the garage. If not, where could i get acetone from? im guessing halfords wouldnt sell it??

P

pulsarboby

nail varnish remover is acetone, i know that for when i take my nail varnish off every night lol

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Yeah even tesco will sell cheap nail polish remover that will do the job; you don't need fancy fragrance, nor "added nail protection".
The methanol would probably work, but not as good as acetone; the methanol is dipolar and protic (that alcohol group lets it hydrogen bond, so you can end-up with methylated crap instead).

Acetone is blood great stuff, and quite overlooked.

P

pulsarboby

:wuss:haha im out the closet now:lol::lol:

put some in the fuel filter or fuel line into rail and just crank the car over with injectors out, that will remove any tarnishing and bits of crap around the needle of injector

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's a great tip boby! I didn't think of doing it that way, but it will also pull any moisture out of the filter and lines too!

P

pulsarboby

yes it does deffo work george.
its very important though that you remove the injection rail to do this or it will also remove all the carbon deposits from top of piston and combustion chamber, these particles should blow directly out of exhaust valve but the last thing you want is for any small bits jamming down side of rings and causing a blowby, or worst still getting beyond the rings with the potential to block oilways which wouldnt be good at all.

nitrosgti-r

So are you saying to take the injectors out the inlet but still keep them in the rail and keep all wires connected and then swing the car over so the injectors squirt out? IM going to fill the injector rail with acetone and then fit the 700 injectors and re fit the inj wires and then direct the injectors into a bowl, swing it over and see what happens??

P

pulsarboby

So are you saying to take the injectors out the inlet but still keep them in the rail and keep all wires connected and then swing the car over so the injectors squirt out?

thats correct brett

nitrosgti-r

all freed up now, nice one bobby and others, acetone soaked overnight and then filled up the rail and spat into a bowl whilst turning over worked a peach :) Gonna run some redex injector cleaner through aswell.

P

pulsarboby

pleased it worked for you brett, hasnt failed yet has the old acetone trick!