Sticking caliper

K

Kennyboy

Hi all,

I have a standard '91 import. The rear near side caliper is sticking on solid so I have taken it off and freed the cylinder, but now that I have put it back on I am getting the same problem again. Is this just a caliper problem and if so where can I get a new one?

Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I haven't looked at my rear calipers yet, so assuming it's a similar idea to the front, is the pad free to move in it's runners? ie they're not smegged up with brake dust and/or rust. If you need a new caliper I'd try Nissan or a motor factors. I probably wouldn't trust a second hand one myself.

G

GAZ P

Its probably due to a seized handbrake mechanism, have you checked this :?: Is the spring actuator on the rear of the caliper free were the handbrake cable fits in and does it fully release when uyou let the handbrake off :?

K

Kennyboy

I have completely cleaned out any muck that was on the pad runners and they seem to be moving fine, and as far as I can tell the handbrake mechanism is working fine. Can you buy spare parts for import cars from a regular Nissan dealer?

Thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd imagine the brake calipers will be the same on the Sunny and Pulsar. You could always try Mike at MJPAutos (I think) his number is one someones signature, when I find it again :?

A

ard1ey

Rear calipers are the same (and apparently they go on the Primera as well) but my Nissan dealer reckons you can only get a seal kit, if piston is damaged or sliding pins are beyond help its new caliper time. My local spares place reckoned they could get one for around £170.

T

Tart

Most of the parts are the same for the sunny and pulsar. Nissan parts will ask u for ur chassis number and can get the parts no problem. Ive never waited more than a couple of days even on import only parts..... Defo get a new one. second hand callipers aren't worth the trouble!!!!!

J

John Mc

Hi Kennyboy,

When you say you've freed the caliper what do you mean exactly?

When I changed my rear pads because they were doing next to nothing :oops: I found the piston was right at the end of it's travel and needed screwing back into the caliper. Once this was done it was working as normal again :D

Hope this helps mate

John

K

Kennyboy

The piston was at the end of its travel and was stuck solid. I screwed it back into the caliper but it has become stuck again. When I removed the bleed nipple there was a fair bit of dirt inside the chamber so I think some must have got into the piston bunging it up.