Standard Pistons

A

Anonymous

Okay what is the deal with the standard pistons ?

I was under the impression that it is forged pistons, but its actually cast...

Infact it is almost identical to the standard SR20DE piston, except the dish in the R piston is slightly deeper...

So what makes our pistons so special ???

S

Sirnixalot

they are cast and they are dished but they are supposed to be a higher grade casting or something of that nature

A

Anonymous

Okay I did some research and the standard pistons are called hypereutectic.

It is a "semi" forged piston... Still cast but the quality is much better...

These pistons are capable of over 24psi provided there is sufficient fueling, as detonation is what brakes theses pistons...

I'll let you guys know what happens when I turn up the boost... :twisted:

ashills

alot of people on here know what happens when they turn the boost up on the standard pistons lol
but keep the fueling ok and see what happens

skiddusmarkus

I'll save you some bother and tell you now-the ringlands collapse and bits of metal stick in your head and wreck 3 valves :lol: .

T

Toady

skiddusmarkus said:
I'll save you some bother and tell you now-the ringlands collapse and bits of metal stick in your head and wreck 3 valves :lol: .
doah, so i could expect to see my head fooked too when i strip my engine down too then? :evil:

D

disco dave

THAT NOT ALWAY THE CASE SKIDUS oady ur eninges fine if that had happend to urse ur car would not be running to have this effect the engine in question wos aboslutly fucked in the first place to make the piston brek in to peice and enter the chamber most ringlads just break but the ring still keeps them in place not realy doing any damage to the bore or head

J

jiw

My mate blew the ringlands on his mr2 turbo after a dastek was fitted by a local tuner, about 5 miles later :oops:

skiddusmarkus

disco dave said:
THAT NOT ALWAY THE CASE SKIDUS oady ur eninges fine if that had happend to urse ur car would not be running to have this effect the engine in question wos aboslutly f***ed in the first place to make the piston brek in to peice and enter the chamber most ringlads just break but the ring still keeps them in place not realy doing any damage to the bore or head

I didn't mean it was in all cases-I was making light of my situation,hence the laughing smilie.
The peices of metal that came off were only small,but large enough to cause damage to the valves and a little to the head which was repaired.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies...

Anyway I'm going to use a standard SR20DE bottom end and head, with the R pistons.
Compression will be 9:1 so its too high for 24psi, I'll be running 14psi...

Now before you guys go all apeshit, this will only be temporary as I got a bearing knock on the R and messed up the one rod and crank. Ontop of that the head is as noisy as hell so i'll be using a single throttle intake aswell :( - The throttles from the R wont fit the standard head...

I'll slowly start rebuilding the R motor...