Spongy, Creaking Clutch

hmmm

Ok it seems that the creaking noise is coming from the pedal box so it will need reinforcing. The clutch now feels spongy when at the last point when u fully depress it to the floor. It feels fine 90 % of the way down but the last 10% feels spongy. I have had the clutch fluid changed and have a pedal braket in place. What could be the reson bhind the clutch feeling spongy?

thanks

Keira

Have you let that nobber ex-gtir drive your car lately :wink: :shock:

He seems to have that affect on a perfectly good clutch pedal feel :lol:

hmmm

ok...we have established that ex-gtir wrecks clutches...then fixes them... :roll:

but whats wrong with my clutch? why does it feel spongy? :)

Keira

could possibly be a problem with master cylinder, do a search, something similar should come up

hmmm

forgot to mention that the spongy feel only comes after driving the car around for 10-15 mins. It feels fine at first each time i start the car but 10-15 mins in to any journey and that spongy feel is back.

Keira

Definate ex-gtir clutch abuse damage :lol: He must have sneaked up and had a drive :roll:

Mines the same.

Is fine at first, but will start squeeking and feel sh!t after a bit, mines been bled about 3 times and still does it.

A possibilty is clutch arm pivot, which is a cnut or the master cylinder, which is also a cnut..... :cry:

lucky for me some one else broke mine..did i mention that yet :wink:

Get your head in the footwell and check nothings come away. If you havn't done it try bleeding it just incase, if its still the same change the cylinder and go from there.

hmmm

which cylinder mate? The slave or master?

I have heard it could be the seals on the master or slave cylinder causing the clutch to feel spongy...any comments?

youngsyp

If it is either of the cylinders, master or slave, seals you will see fluid in the area of the knacked seal. If one or other is damp :shock: you will need to replace at least the seals on both. This is a must as once one goes the other will follow in quick succession ! However, sounds more like air in the system or, check the flexy hose. Mine had a hole in it that I couldn't see but, fluid was leaking from it and I had symptoms similar to yours ! If it is this, try to fit a steel braided hose. These are cheaper than stock ones and give a much better feel.

hmmm

was just thinking that if there was a holein the flexi hose or the seals had gone , then the fluid in the reservoir should lessen day by day. This is not the case and the fluid remains constant. Sounds more and more like air in the lines. Annoying as i just got it completely changed by a garage. :(

hmmm

its no where near as severe as that. U can barely hear the spongy noise. It feels more spongy only after driving for a quite a bit and u only feel it near the very bottom.

kyepan

yer mine is silent when cold, you have to drive it to make it noisy.
and that makes it sound much more noisy than it is, the mic is too sensitive

hmmm

could it be the bushings on the clutch pedal mounting? This would make the clutch feel more spongy and squeeky on hotter days.