some oil cooler qusetions

rayman75

i have got myself a sandwhich plate, and i was looking on ebay for some 2nd hand mocal oil coolers they are going for £50-£60 for 2nd hand ones. i have found some new ones on ebay which arent mocal ones which are alot cheaper..

my question is are the mocal special ones like do they have a sort of thermostat in them? or are they just the same as any other cooler. also what type of coolers do people have eg 10-13 row x 235mm, i just dont see the point in paying more for a cooler just coz it has a mocal sticker on it.

my other question is where is the best place to mount them, i have seen them placed on to of the engine, if anyone has any close up pictures of the mounting brackets, could you mount them behind the front mount or something?

stumo

If you don't have the aircon rad you should be able to mount the cooler there, inbetween the engine rad and any front mount you might have.

The coolers themselves don't have thermostats, you can get thermostats that go in the oil pipes.

I'm going to use a 19row x235 and hopefully it should be ok. If not i'll get a taller one.

O

Odin

There is no stat in the cooler it should be in the sandwich plate, Not sure what to say about weather you should buy a second hand Mocal or new copy, Its up to you really, I wouldn't know what the difference is myself.

Fitting wise I think the best place is between the rad and front mount cooler, That's where I've got mine and its been fine for 3 years like that, Mic on the other hand has had two mocal coolers spring leaks mounted on top of his engine.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

rayman75

i was thinking the same rob behind the front mount/in front of rad would get suffiecant airflow.

19 row thats fairly big isnt it, suppose the bigger the better, 13 row should be ok wouldnt you think.

O

Odin

rayman75 said:
i was thinking the same rob behind the front mount/in front of rad would get sufficient airflow.

19 row that's fairly big isn't it, suppose the bigger the better, 13 row should be OK wouldn't you think.
I have a 19 row cooler but I'm sure a 13 row would do a good enough job fella, I just go for over kill all the time :oops: :doh: .

When I bought my kit it was £165 but that was off GTIRSPARES :roll: :roll: , So I'm sure you can get it cheaper if you look around, I had to replace one of the hoses last year because I let it rub on the alternator :oops: It cost me £25 from a mate of a mate to get replaced in stainless, So I'm sure you could make up a kit yourself for under a £100.

gtirx2

I can't see mocal oil coolers being any better than different oil coolers tbh and no they don't have thermostats built into them the thermostat is built into the sandwich plate that you bolt on to the filter houseing.
As for mounting everyone is saying to front mount it as some people with the cooler top mounted have behine having the cooler split on them because of all the vibrations on top of the engine.As for size i run a 235mm 13 row cooler which is proberbly big enough if you are only useing your car on the road, the hottest i have seen is about 95c and thats beating it pretty hard on a rb box.If you are going to drive hard all the time and do track days i would say get a 16 or 19 row cooler and front mount it.
Heres where i have mounted mine its sitting on a metal braket under it.
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m114/gtirx2/PIC001.jpg

O

Odin

gtirx2 said:
God i am fast at typing:oops: :doh:

Was that you still answering the first question then ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Rob

gtirx2

Yep:oops: i got fat fingers that push the wrong button and then have to check my bad spelling:lol: to be fair tho i must of read the post at 12.58 and then it proberly took me 10 mins to type and buy that time i was to late:doh:and i dug out a pic!

rayman75

thanks everyone for your input, i have seen a new cooler of ebay for £39 deliverd, i already have the sandwhich plate which i got for £12, and in my job i deal in abit of hoses and fittings, so they will cost me not alot, so it will be a cheap but good enough oil cooler setup.

gtirx2 that cooler fits snuggly in there looks neat, suppose me aircon is going to be ripped out soon;-)

thanks again.

P

pulsarboby

difference between mocal oil cooler and chinese copy ones on ebay is the pressure rating!
the cheapies will not hold the same pressure and are liable to crack and leak, they are simply not as good as genuine mocal coolers.
if you look under ebay shops under the listing of mocal coolers, theres a place that sells complete genuine kits for gtir, all the whole lot for £100

ashills

trouble with that kit is the cooler isnt really big enough if ur gonna use the car properly and its a non thermostat housing
so for a front mounted kit and a thermostat its about 40-50 quid extra and really a bigger cooler would be better

O

Odin

I'm going to have to look for a stat for mine, It is supposed to have a stat in the sandwich plate but it appears not to be working properly, Because my cooler hoses get hot straight away and the oil temp hardly ever moves off the bottom of the gauge.

I've bought a filter relocation kit so I'll look at sorting out my stat or getting a new one when I get it all fitted, Which looks like a lot of fun lol.

Rob