Smoke and clutch

S

Speed junkie

Does any one know why white smoke comes out of the exaust when im in turbo, and how i can fix it, also where can i get a sports clutch from?

antgtir

if the white smoke is happening all the time then it sounds as though the head gasket is knackered :( I would hold off getting the clutch if your strapped for cash as you may need to invest in a re build :?

Anyway, if however you have an endless bank account or the bank manager likes you lol then try www.rallynuts.com for a Helix, best clutch available for the R, going off alot of others past experience. Keep us posted.

Goodluck, Ant. :wink:

S

Speed junkie

smoke

Thanks mate. Can i just get a new head gasket or do i have to get a full rebuild, do you know how much it will cost?

gtir350

You sure its white ? or blue ?
Does it only smoke when on boost or at idle also ?

Have you checkde water / oil levels ? and they look clean ?

If it is head gasket then it'll prob be engine out job to change, and check for any other damage

Dave

S

Speed junkie

Yeh the smoke is white and it only happens when im in turbo, i just put 5 litres of oil in yesterday, which water did u want me to check?

S

Speed junkie

yeh i know i was surprised myself but i think it was coz the oil was nearly finished, any idea of how i can fix the gasket problem?

antgtir

A normal oil change should only require 3.5 to 4 litres of oil :?

The water in the header tank situated to the front left of the engine bay.

After a few miles of running the car on the new oil, check to see if it is creamy. If the water level is low and the oil is creamy then its defo head gasket blown.

Depending on how much damage has been done then you may get away with just changing the head gasket alone however if it has been like this for some time then chances are that the car has picked up a few other inherant probs :(

Carry out a compression test and see if there is a prob there. :wink:

Ant.

J

jiw

the oil wont be creamy if the head gasket has gone from water to cylinder.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Speed junkie said:
Yeh the smoke is white and it only happens when im in turbo, i just put 5 litres of oil in yesterday, which water did u want me to check?
How many inches up the dipstick the oil level is :shock:
Was the drain plug in? :?

Do the compression check, but if you're running well over level on the oil, it could be gettig thrown out the the breather into the inlet and smoking out of the exhaust.

G

GartracS2

The water in the header tank situated to the front left of the engine bay.
Pulsars dont have a header tank Ant they have an expansion bottle which is unpressurised,its an overflow only.

It sounds goosed and it could be anything.

If you want the engine checking I charge 25 pounds to do a compression test, cylinder leakage test and a check of the oil, coolant and turbo. 250 pounds to take engine out strip and measure everything and investigate. If you couldnt afford a rebuild then I would put everything back together with the old bits, so its worth having at least 1000 to hand before I strip as no one want s an engine putting back together with old gaskets its BAD news lol. The problem CAN possibly, however, be confirmed by using a few test tools I have which wouldnt require engine out.

If the scenario comes to the worst and your engine needs a rebuild I have facilities on hand to Reline your block etc.

01942 715556