Side mounted bucket seats..

Tim

I was going to have a pair of seat rails welded from sill to transmission tunnel.. that was until i removed the carpet and uncovered an ungodly shaped tunnel so that isn't going to happen.

Its looking more and more likely that i'll have to make some rails up, but i'm not really sure where to start, if anyone has any photos of their side mount seats mounted in the car, or the braackets they have used that would be very helpful.

The seats do not need to slide!

gtirx2

For the drivers side i just bolted the inside seat mount straight on top of the hump in the floor then made this bracket for the outside mount.

Tbh each mount will be different for what style seat you use and what side mounts you go for.
Also if you are short legged you will proberly have even more trouble mounting it low enuff as the beam across the floor gets in the way.
It took me ages to get it just how i wanted it, but in the end it does fit roughly the same height as the standard seat but the cushion on the front of the seat still pushes your knees up a bit,plus the high side bolsters on the seat make it tricky getting in with the standard steering wheel so i had to change that aswell.
As for the passenger side i just made a square frame that bolts into the original mounting points using some of the brackets off the standard seats chopped up,then mounted the seat to that.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
not very clear but few pics here clicky

It's a right pain (as with everything on these bloody cars) to fit seat rails in the drivers side because of the shape of the floor/tunnel. The normal ones that fit, Cobra I think, make the seating height much higher than the OEM seats. So my chanlenge to myself was to make rails/fixed bucket seat mounts that resulted in a slightly lower than OEM position. I did that because the seat is that much lower the steering wheel, even in it's lowest position is to high, I sorted that by modding the steering wheel adjustment thingy. Eventually I was happy with the result.

Tim

Sort of the idea i was aiming for, I wish i had the tools and materials to fab myself something up .. is there anyone local to Yorkshire who can help me out with this, i could just go to a local guy but i'd find it difficult to explain exactly what i wanted.