Rear vented discs..

skiddusmarkus

Well you seem set on it, but maybe just try upgrading the fronts 1st and see how you feel, unless you have an unlimited pot of money and time then do the lot ;).

red reading

I think that larger vented rear disc's and better calipers with a proper bias valve is a definate worthwhile thing to do,you need good rear braking to pull down the rear of the car to balance the handling better while braking and this is an area the pulsar fails on even with a larger un vented rear disc setup,most performance cars run evenly sized discs these days and use the correct bias .

Keg510

Also plan on a bias valve too which will be fun setting up. Havnt had a close look yet bt the front and rear standard discs look like a similar offset which would make moving the front to the rear alot easier. But yeh I am pretty set on it. It's coming up summer and yesterday was the last open day for the year so I will have a bit of time to mess around with brake and suspension ideas.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Just clear something up for me?

Have you got standard brakes on the front? Are you looking to upgrade them, if so what to?

MarkTurbo

Havnt had a close look yet bt the front and rear standard discs look like a similar offset which would make moving the front to the rear alot easier
The front discs won't fit over the hub flange on the rear without some machining. You'll either need to take some material out of the inside of the disc or off the outside diameter of the hub flange ;-)

Keg510

Stock for the meantime Andy. Thanks mark, we have a lathe at work so I can easily bring the disc in and machine the inside out myself. Know how much roughly needs to taken off?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Stock for the meantime Andy.
If that's the case, no wonder you've got brake fade its the fronts that are overheating as they are pathetically too small for the car itself. :roll:

Just upgrading the rears is not going to stop the over heating issue, forget adding vented discs to the rears and sort out the fronts first, this is where you'll find that most of the benefits will be gained.

Once that is sorted out then look at the rears, but all this effort of milling and sorting out brackets for vented rear discs is a waste of time. :roll:

As mentioned:

skiddusmarkus said:
If you really want to do it, its your choice but unless its a dedicated track/race car that has problems with the rears overheating, what's the point?I usually like to plan ahead and have overkill on things which in this instance would be to fit rear vented "just in case" but then I also do research first and I don't think I have ever come across anyone complaining of rear brake overheating problems/wear.You just have to look at the specs of peoples cars and vented rears just don't come into it.
That above pretty much sums it up...

skiddusmarkus said:
Now, do you really think that 99 percent of R's out there need vented rear discs, or do you just want them because they look/sound cooler?

I think this pretty much knocks the nail on the head. :roll:

Get those front brakes sorted first, whether it be better pads (all round), fluids and lines or upgrading to a Wilwood Kit, K-Sport or AP Racing kit. This is what you need to address first!

Braveheart

Keg..... what Andy has discovered is very eye opening. How and why would you work on the rear breaks before addressing the front. What a silly thing!

Keg510

Oh I definitely plan on upgrading the front. But I will be doing them all while it's summer and the car will spend the next 3 months off the track. As for milling and machining I have the facilities and knowledge to do this myself at work so it's really not too much of a hassle in that regard.

I don't think the majority of rs need vented rears, but a dedicated track car, and demanding track I don't want to have to end up doing two brake upgrades. Rather get it right from the start. Solid discs just don't come close to dispersing the heat like vented ones.
Ksport and ap racing kits seem very expensive for what they are. I cant believe how much some of these companies can justify selling them for!!
But I think I have found a combo for the fronts i want to try, just awaiting some email replies. It's hard doing business overseas

But yeh if u think going for rear vented discs are overkill u may be interested at the water cooled brake setup I'm also working on.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Without meaning to sound like a douche, have you asked this on GTIROZ? The locals might have more pertinent advice and links than us. - You may not have to do business overseas.

Keg510

I was considering n16 hubs, gtr calipers, bigger discs for the fronts. By the time ive priced this up, considering calipers would be 2nd hand, put in a rebuild kit, new pads, I could buy a whole complete kit for roughly the same price. All brand new, and bigger and better. Problem is down here places want way too much. One peanut quoted me $700au just for some dba discs... Each! Kits in uk/USA are extremely cheaper, even if I get them sent over by a private courier it works out much cheaper.

I have found the knowledge and friendliness of this forum a lot better than oz forum

Jon Olds

Just come out of a rear brake upgrade exercise, and I decided to be bolshy and go my own way. I have tried to increase the rear bias to help stop the front locking up. Front has big AP calipers and ferodo ds3000, so I have fitted wilwood 4 pots on the back, including a (pathetic ish) mechanical handbrake arrangement. (mot need) Seems ok, so far, but need a few more rally's to be sure. Am I alone in thinking this is another way forward? It was quite a cost effective upgrade, except I bolloxed up the handbrake cable length so ended up with £80 worth of too short cables. doh..

ducie54

On the rear of mine i used R32 gtr calipers with solid rotors and a mechanical hand brake. Bias is more to the front so in the process of playing with the proporing valve to stop the massive brake dive.

Heres a pic

Keg510

Ducie, is the r32 caliper a straight bolt on. I've seen these going pretty cheap so thinking could be a good option with the standard front discs off the r

ducie54

No they do not bolt straight on. Id start by doing ur front first. If you check my member ride blog on gtiroz u will see how much works involved. Heres a pic of the fronts aswell.