Really noisy head!

5GTIR

When driving I can hear my bloody head tapping away over the my exhaust note. It seems to be getting worse. I've had the car for about 6 weeks now and I've always thought it sounds quite tappy but its definately getting worse. The guy I bought it off said having owned a number of R's that this one had the quitest head of them all. I took his word for it but I'm unsure.

The noise is definately coming from the head, anyone suffer, had this problem, know of a probable cause? I have my suspicions but I dont have much experience with the SR so some help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John

Oh dear, sounds.....expensive. If its getting worse theres deffo summit up, top or bottom end I'd say.

Is the knocking bad on start up, and is it throughout the rev range it occurs or only at a specific rev range?

When my knocking started I knew immediatly it was the bottom end, so it was rebuild time, which aint cheap depending on whether you want to go forged or not.

5GTIR

I'm 99.9% certain its not bottom end, I spent a while under the bonnet listening at different revs and its absolutely fine untill 2100 rpm through to about 5k. The only thing I have noticed as far as performance is concerned is a momentary hesitance when coming on boost. Its revving fine, but I thought I noticed faintly visible emmisions coming from the exhaust at full temp but my mate said I was seeing things. The sound is far from a knocking noise but more like a rattle then anything. Any ideas?

Matty B

sounds like it needs re-shimming buddy. You would be looking at about 400 pounds to get it sorted, if you can find someone to do it that is. Do a search and you will find out everything you need. Its no big deal mate, i had to have mine done recently cause it got bad.

snoon

are you sure your not just worrying over nothing?

Mine is quite tappy and has been for the near on 3 years I've had it. Could do with re-shimming but it'll be right. Bobby does it for about 350 or so i think IIRC, but if your getting it done you may as well throw some decent cams in at the same time.

stedee

i`m in the same boat but mine had gradually got worse , i`ve owned it for nearly a year now but i do have thin oil in it 5w 50 so i might change to 10w 50 to see if it helps

Matty B

using thicker oil will help slightly for a while but you may as well bite the bullet and fork out for a re-shim. i did and it was well worth it,

5GTIR

Cheers guys, you've confirmed my suspicions, a re-shim it is! and as was pointed out earlier.....may as well put a set of cams in there for good measure at the same time!.

Thanks guys

Ben