prob after reverse light switch fitment - sorted

GTIR-LOZ

hi fitted my reverse light switch at lunch today, prob is now 3rd and 4th gears dont seem to have anything stopping them jumping out of gear!! the selector feels so loose there, i changed the reverse light switch in neutral, didnt think it would make much difference, but i did find a small spring when undoing the bolt that has the bracket on it for holding the reverse light switch cable but not sure where it came from seems to have been just sitting there, what keeps the gears engaged in the box is it this spring and where does that go?? by the way all other gears are fine just when moving in and out of 3rd and 4th any help appreciated

MarkTurbo

Is the spring about an inch or so long and quite a strong one by any chance :lol:

From what you've said it sounds like you've removed part of the selector mechanism :wink: That spring pushes on the selector. Take the bolt out again and see if the little ball bearing the spring pushes against is still there :wink:

If it isnt then.... :?

ex-gtir

the clip that you removed that holds the reverse switch wire in place is connected to the detend bearing that holds the box in gear

GTIR-LOZ

:shock: oh bugger me yeah your right mark, so this ball bearing thing, is it quite stable in there or not as i have driven 30 miles home like it, i have the spring at work, i take it it just sits on that bolt and that screws into the box, how come it only affects 3rd and 4th then, also what happens if i cant find the bearing?? is it box out

MarkTurbo

If i remember correctly i dont think theres room for the bearing to drop into the box, if its not there it could have dropped out when you took the bolt out.

It only affects 3rd/4th because both of those gears are on the shaft that the bearing pushes on, theres another bolt next to it that has the same spring and bearing set up but for 1st and 2nd :wink:

GTIR-LOZ

oh right, pretty sure nothing else fell out, but then i never knew that the spring had come out so who knows thanks will have a looksie tomorrow

GTIR-LOZ

well drained ouil again today undid said bolt and ball bearing fell out whoopie, stuck it back in with the spring topped up the oil and alls well again, cheers for the help mark and mike

antgtir

You learn something new every day lol I shall keep this in mind if i ever have to do this same job.

One thing you can rely on is that someone somewhere has always gone thro the same prob and can give good advice, nice one guys. :D

B

Brett G

Be on the safe side... Just wire in a seperate switch in the cockpit for reverse :wink: :lol:

GTIR-LOZ

cheers yeah was a bit of luck but as mark said the ball bearing can only come out through the bolt hole will know now for future lol