Pretty neat - I think anyway

nex

its a shame we are bound to the software requirements.............com ports are a thing of the past also so I dont an xda has one, the device also needs to be windows based (pocketPC) and have the .net compact framework installed if that helps.....

more than happy to look at other devices with you to see if it can be expanded. I might speak to ecutalk people as I do software development and see if it can be ported in some way.

Matt Evans

Do pocket PCs have USB ports? If so, you can just use a Blazt cable. I bought the cable and Nissan Datascan software for £75. Works fine on my laptop, but I imagine if pocket PCs had a USB port it'd work fine on there too.

nex

Do pocket PCs have USB ports? If so, you can just use a Blazt cable. I bought the cable and Nissan Datascan software for £75. Works fine on my laptop, but I imagine if pocket PCs had a USB port it'd work fine on there too.
yes it works f'in lovely in the above configuration thats why i thought it was a giggle to waiste my time :thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
They have a micro-USB port (like a digital camera), but you can also get USB to COM port adaptors... and I know there are widgets that will go in the CF/SD card ports on some PDAs.

I'm pretty sure I can install the .net framework on the XDA... it's the COM port that causes the problems.

nex

the ecutalk software directly speaks to a com port. yes most pocket pc's have a usb port of sorts but you will need to find a compatible com to usb adapter (this might cost the same as a second hand ipaq) not all com to usb adapters work with the consult devices so again another issue that may arise. either way, nissan datascan i very much doubt will run on any pocket pc as it is pre-compiled for a desktop cpu (x86) not an armstrong cpu etc, ecutalk is .net so is "just in time compiled" for the envrioment it runs on.

The hardware/software i have selected produces the cheapest and easiest solution i could find, as vsimple as that, this is what i felt would apeal to the majority.....

i really do welcome any input or ideas from people, but please check the techs or pm me before posting a "surely this would work for 75quid" as it only serves to muddy the waters, confuse people and dilute what we could offer to people.

Matt Evans

Sorry, nex, wasn't trying to say its cheaper or better to get what I bougt for £75, just throwing some ideas in the mix. tbh I don't understand all this techy stuff that well, so I definitely wasn't trying to run your idea down. Its all cool stuff, way above my head! 8)

nex

sorry dude didnt mean to bite you head off - one of those days - the blatz/blitz cables do the job, what i was after though is something dash mountable! :) trying to drive with a laptop on the passenger seat it great until you stop quickly lol!

Matt Evans

No probs, fella. It would've been better if I'd asked it as a question rather than made a statement about it. :doh:

Anyway, I totally agree with what you're trying to achieve. I personally prefer the 'factory' look, so if you're trying to come up with something thats more compact and easier to intergrate into the car without it sticking out like a saw donkey, it gets my vote! :D

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I see your thread on the modifiers site.
I've now got an iPaq, so I might look at getting a cable made-up for it... which may also mean that I need to ask you some questions.
I haven't got there yet.