Pistons for the R - please spare a min for this one :-D

Money no object, which pistons would go in your R ?

• JE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tomei

• JUN

• A'PEXi

• Wiseco

• Grex (GReddy / Trust )

• Total voters
S

srbpower

Money no object, which ones would you want fitted into your R ?

and any comments, experiences etc are welcome too.

Thanks

Dan

skiddusmarkus

I'd go for the special Tomei ones with the oil channels in.They're nearly twice as much as the normal forged ones but if money is no object then it would be them for the extra cooling and peice of mind.

S

srbpower

Interesting. Can those that have said HKS, tell us all why, if there's a particular reason?

Personally, I've never seen anything about the HKS ones that stansd out, other than of course that they're tried, tested and proven. I've got them in my S14, so don't think I'm saying they're bad, but I get the idea that people just say HKS cos they know the name and it rolls off the tongue before they've even looked into it.

Just be interested to hear the feedback on this if you would please :D

Cheers guys

Dan

ashills

i got mine as i was desperate to get car back on road but also u know theres no fitment problems
and mine also had a crown covering of some sort
anyone else see the coating on theres

Websnowbo

All the boys here in OZ seem to be well happy with Wiseco jobbies.

Not really seen much about 'R's since i've been here but they are running these pistons and running 1.5-2.0bar all day long.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I said HKS cause I only hear good things bout them, and Hiteq advised them..

Nad

Like Skiddus said, the new Tomei ones with the oil cooling channels in, Im not flush and when I brought my stuff they never made them bu they are deffo a "money no option" part, they aint cheap even from Japan!

Nad

S

srbpower

Thanks guys. I overlooked one major thing too, which is availability. The HKS ones are generally an off the shelf item and you can have them in a few days. Tomei, JUN, Apexi etc aren't generally stocked by anyone over here so 2 weeks min I guess. I reckon this is the biggest factor in the choice, along with the main HKS distributors here in the UK, who will obviously choose them as they'll make the most £££'s on them anyway.

We're considering offering our own SRB pistons for the SR20DET in an 87mm size, which we feel is best as the block should really be bored to suit the piston with regards to clearance etc. 87mm gives the most room for honing the block so great if you have any bore damage from a blow up or similar.

We will offer them as a complete kit with rings, pins and circlips. They won't be £50 a set :roll: but they will be cheaper than HKS and with a spec equal or better than JUN items :D We will carry them in stock too!

Given that info, can I have some more feedback please?

Thanks guys.

Dan

GTIR-LOZ

sounds good, if you want me to put them in my R for free then im up for it, :lol: obviously as a guinea pig experiment thing :p

then you can say loz runs 2 bar all day long on them too!!!!

S

srbpower

Ah, the 1st of many offers to "test" them :D

We've already got someone lined up for that job I'm afraid :lol:

Cheers

Dan

M

Mr Overboooost

i suppose you new that HKS pistons are made by cosworth :?:

this thread started off as asking questions of what pistons everyone liked which is good but yet again its the old trick of being sneaky about marketing new products outside of your own section :roll:

i keep to my own section when i get new products in so why cant you :?:

BAD BOY

cheers
gary :)

S

srbpower

GTIR-LOZ said:
worth a try though hehehehehe
Yeah, twas a good solid effort, but alas no ciggie :wink:

Gary, I've mentioned no prices etc and am doing what's commonly known as market research. I think you'll find most companies do it before investing considerable amounts of money into projects and new products or services. It limits the risk slightly.

I think HKs would be interested in your rumour of Cosworth making their pistons for them too!

If you have no valid input into a conversation, why enter into it?

Why not let the mods do the modding.

Thanks to all those that have given valuable feedback on this issue. We appreciate it a great deal and as such Si and myself will be discussing the next step of getting these into production.

If anyone would like to speak with us regarding this, please post in our section, or email us, as I don't feel this thread will go any further now.

Regards

Dan

M

Mr Overboooost

must play by the rules otherwise we get told off :(

nothing personal on my part just pointing it out just incase he got carried away when he was typing as you do sometimes :wink:

cheers
gary :)

GINGA

I'd have a set of custom proably cosworth or mahle pistons with a 9:1 compression ratio with titanium total seal rings and gudgen pins :wink: