Overfuelling

A

Anonymous

My R has developed a heavy drink problem! I am only getting 50 odd miles to 1/2 a tank of Super Unleaded and I have not been driving like a loony[:D] Every now and then I also get a puff of black smoke on gear change can I assume that this is unburnt fuel?

I had the car on the rollers a few months back and the operator told me that the car was running perfect apart from slight overfuelling at the top end but I just had a full service carried out with new plugs and fuel filter being fitted and its since then that my fuel consumption has suffered.

The car has a HKS AFR fitted by Hiteq and its currently set at 10 of the 12 settings, should I use the AFR to lean the mixture or should I get a RR tune done and let them adjust it?

91 Pulsar GTi-R
304bhp @ 6700rpm
249lb/ft torque

M

Mr Overboooost

10 bloody hell no wonder you are runing rich[:0]
when i had a afr on mine i was told that +6 was standard fueling so for about 1 bar of boost it needs to be on +7-8 but it differs from car to car.
it could also be your lambda sensor which could be knackered aswell so you need to get that checked out aswell.
i hope this helps[:D]
cheers
gary

G

GTI-R Kid

Unless one of the mechanics did something/forgot to do something at the recent service and thats the cause of the problem?

Might be worth your while to put it on the rollers again just to double-check that everythings spot-on, coz even running rich shouldn't see fuel consumption that bad if you're not driving like a looney.

Rob

Jobi Joba

Maybe your old fuel filter was really old and didn't let the fuel flows correctly...So you had to set up your AFR to +10,which is now far much too rich your filter is new...

It's just an idea...

currently buiding a near 400bhp beast... My goal?Mid 11' at 1/4 mile...