Opinions please

Cathode

Empty clean average sized catch can. 1 hour drive. Let’s say 50% of it was kicking its head in.

Got back home, made a cup of tea and checked the catch can. About 2 or 3 ml of catch can funk / oil vapour in there.

I’m a catch can virgin so Is that bad, terrible?

Thoughts please.

Last edited:

Cathode

There’s not much oil at all, it’s mostly a yellow substance. I’d say it’s 10% oil at most. Smells really strong of petrol. There must be a touch of blow by.

Thanks for the input. It’s interesting to know how your car is dealing with it.

Cathode

Mines around the same and no oil. Maybe loose tolerances and blow by?
Well, I can’t think of anything else it could be unfortunately. Not the end of the world but not good after 3000 miles of a rebuild. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Cathode

Just been out for an hour or so, clean catch can. Gave it no boost at all -which was really hard since some tit turd in his focus RS was up my chuff- but the catch can is empty. There’s nothing in it really.

Cathode

It seems we can move on to another "Gremlin" you have :grinning:.......for now
Well, I’ve ordered that 3 port baffled Mishimoto catch can and a filter for the end of the PCV. I’ve got pipe I can use so I’ll be able to set it up in the week :grinning:

Just for the record, the PCV valve I bought was for an S13 and it’s a perfect fit.

Thanks for your input Astarozna, it was very helpful.

gtirx2

You do not need the pcv valve mate it will effectively be doing nothing with out vacuum being connected to it,ie routed back to the throttle bodies as standard so a filter on it will be doing nothing.

The misimoto can looks a good design but is designed for a recirculating system back to intake pipe although looking at it can be used for a vent to atmosphere system.

Remove the pcv valve and just use an open fitting with hose to the catch can,also plumb another hose from right hand rocker cover to can.

The outlet on the can then can either have a filter on it for a vent to atmosphere setup or a pipe back to the intake pipe for a sealed system as per stock setup.

Cathode

Thanks for this^^

I’ve learnt a lot from posts on this thread so I really appreciate the input.

I’m going to try a recirculating system to see what it’s like in terms of managing the breathing plus for my own knowledge and understanding of it all. If I do it I’ll understand properly. Or at least I like to think I will.