Nova ; >

P

philm^gtir

saturday night just dropping some friends off into town so four up. Turning off ring-road roundabout onto a-road approaching another roundabout - red nova with white bonnet clips sees me. i thought here we go 1.4 man wanting a bit onto roundabout in 2nd give it some look in mirror nova boy is still there! pulled on him abit in third but still not dissapearing! By now we were thinking 2.0. Over another 2 roundabouts - come to a long two lane tunnel. Both give it full whack - he kept with me pretty much not gaining, perhaps i gained a little. Pulled up next to me - as we suspected a 2.0 16v - just him and his bird in there.

suprised how quick it was - but still a nova think i'd rather walk :D

topdoggtir

i don't care what power iam running when iam in the pulsar i never race with a crowded car it fills so sluggish. 2 at most :idea: , so iam not suprised the nova was still about he must have been thrashing the life out of the car, thinking i'll loose my misses if i get shown up.

MarkTurbo

JIMMYBACK said:
no matter wot u say marky a 2 litre nova is pretty damn quick :oops: :shock:
I didnt say it wasnt :roll: :wink: When i first got my R and it was totally standard from a rolling start it wasnt much quicker than my old GTE 16v :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My first race at York last weekend was against a Nova. I thought to myself "don't take this for granted as these things can be quick" I got 3/4 down the strip and into 5th and had a look round for him and couldn't see him, thought he must still be on the start line. Nope! He was hiding in my blind spot :shock: and going strong. I beat him on time, 13.3 to 13.7, but if it had been on the road he'd had been passing fast as he was doing 109mph to my 102mph. Turn out I was right to be suspicious, he was a 2LT turbo with around 270bhp :)

P

Pulldog

Mmmm Nova's can be unpredictable, most pulsar will beat the 16v but the turbos are really quick when they stop spinning or they are rolling.
I raced a local lad in a white nova turbo last year and from a standing still they cant compete.

Rav

i have a mate with a totally striped out nova running a 2L s.b.d 208bhp kit on throttle bodies its fappin quick as its only 2 seats, not even a dash the speedo is actully cable tied to the bulk, its a proper sleeper coz it still got the 1.2 merit badge on the back :lol:

LJ

I had a play with a 2l 16v nova with cams, carbs etc and from 20 to 100 mph i could not pull away with 274 bhp, :oops: :evil:

bunter007

having owned an astra mk2 16v i can testify that those xe20let engines are awesome, imo one of the finest engines ever made. its was fairly quick in the astra so i can only imagine what one would be like in a nova!!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Is there much Nova left in that car? at 2.83 its got to be 4wd and a seriously turbo charged engine, possibly two?

Tell me more.

Mr GTiR

bunter007 said:
having owned an astra mk2 16v i can testify that those xe20let engines are awesome, imo one of the finest engines ever made. its was fairly quick in the astra so i can only imagine what one would be like in a nova!!
yes, cracking engine and generally built proof. If you get the XE with a Cossie head (CosCast -) then your laughing 8)

2.0 16v Nova's are very quick in a stright line but go to sh1t once you try and put it into a bend :lol:

MarkTurbo

Mr GTiR said:
bunter007 said:
yes, cracking engine and generally built proof. If you get the XE with a Cossie head (CosCast -) then your laughing 8)
Yeah try not to get the ones with the GM heads cos they go porous :? I've had 2 that have gone porous but luckily i know how to repair them :wink: and i'm in the middle of doing one off a mates astra gsi at the moment :roll:

Mr GTiR

There were 3 version of the GM head. Only versions 1 and 2 had the problem of going poures. I had the 3rd generation and never had a problem with it :wink:

The mod is simple enough to do.

Simmo

campbellju said:
Is there much Nova left in that car? at 2.83 its got to be 4wd and a seriously turbo charged engine, possibly two?

Tell me more.
Heh I dunno mate, There used to be a site by Regals German counterpart - www.boost-beast.de but its gone down.

I know it has 2x c20let Red Top turbo engines each pushing about 320bhp synch'd using a modified Cav Turbo 4x4 system but last time I spoke to Chris he mentioned they were fitting bigger turbos for that little bit more turdstain in the pants.

Its been stripped down with 1 seat and a lightweight cage shovelled in and some trick weight adjustments to keep it on the ground during hard acceleration.

Dunno a lot more about it but Chris is always up for a chat so he'll probably talk all day about it!

Cheers, Simmo