Nissan 4 Pots

A

Anonymous

Has anyone swapped the front brake calipers for a set of 4 Pots from a S14 200SX or Z32 300ZX? This seems to be a cost effective upgrade for the S13 200SX boys who run 280mm discs with them and they are a straight swap for the single pots fitted as standard!

How hard would this be for an R as our caliper carriers are diferent to the 200SX?

91 Pulsar GTi-R
304bhp @ 6700rpm
249lb/ft torque

Cris

Someone has done this, can't remember who mind.

If you search the Yahoo Technical site's messages you'll find some stuff there.

I'm plannin to do so myself, but with biger discs.

Cheers

Cris

D

DazBGTIR

Speak to Mark at Abbey's. On his old GTI-R, he designed and fitted a front brake kit utilising a set of R32 GTR Calipers (they were from a 32 as the 33 and 34 came with Brembo's).

These worked incredibly well apparently, and i've never seen another GTI-R with the same brake set-up.

Good luck.
Daz

Skyline R32 GTR

http://www.myselector.freeserve.co.uk

B

bean

I thought about going the whole hog and fitting S14 front disks/calipers and the wheels.

Should be a good upgrade to 280mm disks and 16" wheels.

Custom GTiR ECU Maps coming soon
www.h-dev.co.uk

F

Fizzy

quote:These worked incredibly well apparently, and i've never seen another GTI-R with the same brake set-up.
I think this was because of the huge cost involved. Apparently it wasn't cost effective for them, as it cost about £1000 and there's many a good brake conversion out there for less.

Mark
"It's a RALLY car!!!" [:)]

C

charlie

quote:Originally posted by bean
I thought about going the whole hog and fitting S14 front disks/calipers and the wheels.

Should be a good upgrade to 280mm disks and 16" wheels.

www.h-dev.co.uk

you would need to change your hubs too as the S14 has 5 stud wheels [8)]

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time, for those 500 calories or more, im free!

C

Cashpoint

you wouldn't need to change hubs as your not changing the rota just the calipers. I looked into using the 4 pot from a 200sx Hi spec were willing to sell me the disks and i had got a price of £150 from a scrap yard for the calipers. The only problem came when i went insearch of a way of getting a mounting bracket for the calipers as a one off was around £300 so it would need to be a group buy other wise the Hi-Spec 4 pots were cheaper.

** weeks with out an R and missing it
Supra TT Now same fuel bills different sh*t
Seat belt Pads aren't good, even Novas deserve more!

A

Anonymous

Can you buy Hispec 4 Pot calipers to replace the standard ones but retain the standard disk/pad setup? How much for the hispec's?

91 Pulsar GTi-R
304bhp @ 6700rpm
249lb/ft torque

G

GTI-R Kid

I looked into fitting a full 300ZX brake set on my car, but after inspecting a friends 300 i discovered that the front calipers, while only 4 pot, were huge and could have resulted in the fitting of spacers, longer studs and even more headaches.

Just looked like more trouble than it was worth, and having to get custom brackets made up could have resulted in a costly conversion.[V]

Rob

B

bean

Damn, I'll give the 200SX brakes a miss then. [:(]

What's the biggest front disks you can fit under the standard wheels? I really need to replace the disks/pads all round, what do people recommend with oem wheels?

I'll change the wheels one day maybe, not for a while.

www.h-dev.co.uk

I'm running a Skyline GTS R32 4pot- The caliper has the big words NISSAN and Sumitomo.
Well the conversion was quite straight forward. Just a simple adaptor to mount the calipers, longer studs, drill holes on the discs and running spacers. Using some sort of Endless pads and its just nice for street usage.
Well all i can say the upgrade was worth it as the brakes are less prone to fading and the bite is excellent. The conversion probably cost 200 pounds to u guys.
Oh i forgoten to mention i had to change from 14 inch to 16 inch. Sigh i miss my 14 inch Oz rally rims.
Well since i guess HiSpec have made a specific 4 pot brakes for the GTi-R i think it is better to stick with them.
Just have to try it out how it fair in Sepang F1 track.

BabyGodzillaGTi-R

A

Anonymous

If your going to use the S14 caliper you will need to use wheel spacers and longer studs, you will also need brackets making up to space the calliper out to match which ever disc you choose. Unless you have access to a decent drilling machine, vice etc and are quite hand with the tools its not going to be very cost effective 8)

NISR227

Here some pictures of my Hi-Spec 4 pots with 285mm disc behind 15 inch OZ wheels. It cost me about £650 IIRC at Abbey, they did have to shave the caliper to make it fit though. You might want to turn the brightness up on your monitor to see the caliper clearly, my aim is to keep the whole car factory looking, including the brakes..

NISR227

I have more feed back and don't want to run more than 300bhp so the 285 4pots with DS2500's do me fine, epecially when its gonna be alot of weight reduction next year :)
You can't do any better than AP's 330mm (6 pots pref) but you need 17s and the AP's cost f*** loads, but if you want the best..

A

Anonymous

NISR227,
How do you find the Hi Spec 4 pots compaired to the standard Nissan single pots ? Thinking about getting some for my Almera GTi (same standard brakes as you R boys).
Worth the money or not ?
Also with the 285's what's the min internal wheel clearance? Hoping to keep my standard rims for track days.
Cheers,
Ollie.