New gauges - but how to connect?

G

GTI-R Kid

Hey guy

Just after getting some new gauges for the GTI-R but not sure how to connect them all up. I understand the instructions and all that, my problem lies with how to plumb in the new sensors? Do the original sensors serve any purpose other than a feed for the center gauges, and would it do any harm to remove them (oil temp and pressure) and replace them with the sensors for our new gauges? Do they send any signal to the ecu that would mean I can't replace them?

We'll be ditching the three factory center gauges and fitting oil temp & pressure, along with water temp and boost. Anyone suggest where is best to tee for the boost reading? Anyone know where's cheapest to get an adaptor for the water temp (or anyone know the diameter of the factory hose so I can do some searching)?

Finally, I've come across some pics of brass adapters that allow the fitment of the factory sensor and aftermarket sensor to the same point on the block. Its like an extended bolt head where the factory sensor attaches at the end, and an aftermarket sensor can connect half way up its length - anyone know where these can be sourced?

Cheers in advance for any replies.8)

Fazz

Unless they're defi's then why why why???!

Sorry but I've no idea. must stick to the day job!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The brass T pieces can be had from Demon Tweeks.
For the boost gauge, tap into the line for the standard one. Check the little black box on the inner wing near the battery and follow the boost line to a suitable point for T'ing.
Looking at the ECCS diagram, there's no mention of the gauges, only the temp sensor.
The gauges seem to earth through the sensors to get a reading, so it looks like you can remove the 3 sensors and plug in there if your bits fit. Make sure you get the gauge water sensor, not the ECU water sensor tho.;-)

G

GTI-R Kid

Fazz said:
Unless they're defi's then why why why???!

Sorry but I've no idea. must stick to the day job!
Ah but they are Defi's :hail: And the simple reason for changine is that I don't have a huge amount of confidence in the OEM gauges. Taking as many measures as possible to make sure the engine won't implode.

Carl - cheers for all that. Must go have a look at the Demon Tweeks site now. 8)

I know the oil pressure sensor is the same thread anyway. Got an old broken one from Turblio some time ago so I'd have the thread measurement and its identical to the new one so thats one out of three possibly sorted.

My only real concern was that the ECU might take a reading from one of the three for safety or tripping the get home mode. Guess that would be the difference between the gauge water sensor and the ecu water sensor that I need to be careful about? How do I find the difference or are they in very different positions on the engine?:oops:

Thanks again

G

GTI-R Kid

Looks like Demon Tweeks have all the parts I need (cheers for the heads up Carl :thumb: ) ... now all I need to do is figure out the dimensions I need. :doh:

Don't suppose anyone knows the internat diameter of the top radiator hose?:? Or anyone have a pic of where the original oil temp sensor bolts up to the engine?:? And finally can anyone explain all this thread stuff to me?:oops: I know that the original oil pressure sensor and my new one have a 1/8" NPT thread, but I don't have a clue what that means. Gets even worse when I see the adapter listed like below

M10 x 1 to 1/8" NPT
M16 x 1.5 to 1/8" NPT
1/8" NPT to 1/8" NPT

Am I right in thinking I need the last one listed above for my oil pressure sensor?
1/8" NPT to 1/8" NPT :hurt:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do a search for the water sensor, there was a thread a few months back (if that long) which included pictures of the two sensors and which was which.;-)

GTIR-LOZ

i assume that the water sender could be screwed directly into the coolant hose using the adapter

G

GTI-R Kid

GTIR-LOZ said:
i assume that the water sender could be screwed directly into the coolant hose using the adapter
From what I've seen, the water hose is cut and the adapter placed in between the two sides. Put each end over the adapter and then fasten with jubilee clips or similar. Then I just have to screw the sensor into the threaded part of the adapter. Just have to find out the internal diameter of the hose so I buy the correct adapter.:oops:

Carl - will do a search now. Cheers

R

Red16

are you mounting the new gauges in the hole where the standard ones were? if so did you buy a gauge pod, and where from ?

G

GTI-R Kid

Cheers Carl - found the same link myself a short while ago after your suggestion. Not a whole lot of use to me really though.:oops: Thinking of just getting an adaptor for the top radiator hose as most seem to think this is the best location for an accurate reading on the water temp.8)

Going to get one of the adaptors in the link below which should hopefully allow me to fit the oil temp and pressure senders to the same spot as the original sender, and should also be able to plumb in the original sender too so everything will be hooked up.:thumb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8053324551&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Just need to find out the internal diameter of the top water hose now.:oops: Don't suppose anyone has the answer to that one?:oops:

Time for more abude of the search button for now.:lol:

GTIR-LOZ

did you have any luck on the coolant sensor issue i have the same defis to go on but my water sensor is screwed into another adapter type bolt is yours the same

G

GTI-R Kid

Got my Defi's new so no extra adapters. Got the dimensions for the top coolant hose so gonna have a look on eBay and Demon Tweeks for the adapter. All it is is a short cylinder with a threaded hole in the middle. Cut the hose and put it between the sides and fasten in place with jubilee clips.

Sounds simple - hope it turns out to be!;-)

G

GTI-R Kid

If you mean the thread size for the sensors then its 1/8 NPT. The internal diameter of the top radiator hose is 35mm.

I don't know if Defi do any adapters - I've never seen them advertised anywhere though. Only seem to do the gauges and sensors and its up to the buyer to get whatever else is necessary.