Mintex V Carbotech brake pads

GTiRlover

I am looking to change the rear pads on my car and have narrowed my options down to Mintex1144 and Carbotech AX6 or XP8. I have used Mintex1144 pads on another car but on the front and they were very impressive but I know the Evo boys rave about Carbotech so it would be interesting to know what any R' owners have to say...

Thanks

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
XP8's are great on track, but lots of dust. You need to keep your wheels clean or you may find that the dust will attack the wheels (as I found out).
On the road they are not bad, need a little heat to get going, but apart from that they are fine.

I use Mintex 44's for road use (front & rears). I find them to be good from cold and take some stick. If worked too hard they can be come tired, dust is about the same as XP8's but less aggressive on the wheels. Overall a good road pad.

ashills

carbotechs all the way no competition ian my mate works there will make any pad for any caliper etc
used mintex then these and will never use mintex again faded all over the place but the carbotechs on my evo worked fine even on an airfield planting the brakes at nearly 170

GTiRlover

fubar andy- the car is predominantly a road car so maybe the XP8's are a bit above my needs. The guy at Carbotech suggested that the AX6 would be a better compound for the rear brakes. Have you tried the AX6 pads?

ashills- praise indeed! Which Carbotech pads were you using? I am considering the AX6 or the XP8 to go with the Ferrodo DS2500 on the front...

olliecast- are you using them all round? What braking setup do you have?

Thanks

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
fubar andy- the car is predominantly a road car so maybe the XP8's are a bit above my needs. The guy at Carbotech suggested that the AX6 would be a better compound for the rear brakes. Have you tried the AX6 pads?
I've not used AX6 pads, so no info there. You could try XP8's on the front and AX6's on the rear, see how that pans out?

Pads not good enough for rear use are EBC Green and Red stuff, I have used and binned my Redstuff's due to poor performance and now use Mintex 44 for road use and 55's on track.

warringtonjack

Just another opinion I know, but I really like my Redstuffs. They are shocking when cold, but they do the business on my Monsters when warm. :D

GTiRlover

fubar andy- I currently have greenstuff in the rear, they were in the car when I bought it. I am looking for a pad to go with Ferrodo DS2500 that I have in the front. I must say I am more than impressed with the Ferrodo's performance especially when they have a bit of heat in them although they have eaten my front discs! I think I am going to go with the 1144's in the rear purely because they are much cheaper than the AX6's and considering they only account for a small percentage of the braking system. Had this been a decision concerning front pads I wouldn't be skimping...

warringtonjack- I'd recommend a change to Ferrodo DS2500 in that case, I would have thought you would notice a big improvement in braking. I had redstuff in the front of my car in standard callipers and it was scary! Although how much of that was down to the standard system or the pads I don't know.

olliecast- I would like to upgrade to a 300mm disc conversion at the rear to balance out the braking bias from having 4pots on the front and standard callipers and discs at the rear. Which kit are you looking at?

Thanks

GTIR-LOZ

ive had the mintex 44s and yellowstuff pads and now on ds2500 the mintex's gave the better stopping performance although they were soooo noisey at low speeds i changed to the ds2500 and although i have less braking force it seems they are alot quieter the yellow stuffs i only had in the wilwoods not the hispecs so it would be an unfair comparison but i was pretty happy with them to be honest and no noise but with great braking force from cold

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
the mintex's gave the better stopping performance although they were soooo noisey at low speeds
I know its weird, but I like that squealing sound from the pads; 55's are even worse!

To most people it sounds like an old buses brakes, but I look at is as a subtle hint that there's more to the car that meets the eye.

I was in town the other week when a 1.0 corsa squealed up with noisy brakes. A quick glance at its wheels and it’s was obvious there was some 2.0 brakes in there. As he made his way out of town and down the bypass he was gone in a blink of an eye. Even the exhaust looked stock, but what was inside certainly wasn't!

olliecast

I know its weird, but I like that squealing sound from the pads; 55's are even worse!

To most people it sounds like an old buses brakes, but I look at is as a subtle hint that there's more to the car that meets the eye.

I was in town the other week when a 1.0 corsa squealed up with noisy brakes. A quick glance at its wheels and it’s was obvious there was some 2.0 brakes in there. As he made his way out of town and down the bypass he was gone in a blink of an eye. Even the exhaust looked stock, but what was inside certainly wasn't!
i share the same fetish.

My carbotecs have a dirty, fingers down blackboard squeal. You get a trained ear smerk and ask about the pads, an untrained tells me to put copper grease on my pads.

:-D

GTiRlover

GTIR-LOZ- its good to hear more fans of the 1144 because that is what I have just ordered for the rear to go with Ferrodo DS2500's on the front. You noted that you found the 1144's to give better braking than the DS2500, I found the opposite to be true. Although yours might be a fairer compairson because the 1144's were on my old car with a different make of calliper to those now on my R.

fubar andy- sounds like someone had a bit of stealth going on8) I keep toying with the idea of fitting a standard Sunny bonnet and tailgate to my car for a laugh but I think the front mount hiding in the front bumper may give the game away:lol:

olliecast- yeah squeeling brakes normally mean uprated but like you say those in the know, know;) Along similar lines, the sound of a 'cammed-up' car at idle, to the uneducated they think it sounds rough but those who know...8):D

Thanks for the help guys!