Meddling with bulbs and stuff

:idea: got an idea the other day- i really like red instrument lighting. :idea: I don't mean backlit white dials, i mean the sort of thing standard on modern BMW's and bigger Pugs. Does anybody know anywhere that does red bulbs for the R to replace the standard white ones?

I thought about painting them, but my mate tried that in his Civ and they came out pink- i'm thinking i might get away with it on the R tho, cos the bits that let the light thru from the back aren't tinted pale blue or anything, they're just clear... managed to get my rear demister light button red by sheer chance cos i found a red bulb somewhere that fitted (from a 1.4 Sunny!) but think it was a one off- unless anyone knows differently...

Also, as my suspension shook my stereo to bits on the way to Trax, i was wondering if anyone has seen a stereo that fits these stipulations:

Red buttons/ display- (to match my intended instruments)
Plain black front (without the silver max power looks)
Cd player

Any help/opinions would be much appreiciated
Cheers.

L

Little Miss Road Rage

Theres a company called Motorspeed that does replacement LED dash bulbs there ad is www.motorspeed.com. If u go into the accessories section and click on miscellaneous they're in there. To see the colours click buy now and a list will appear. Are u sure the dash is clear because when we change the speedo faces of some of the imports the bits the light goes through is tinted? If it is tinted u may not turn your dash red. Hope this is of some use to u.

:D hey, thanks for the info- i know it's the most random of topics!

Now i'm wondering if it is slightly tinted or not. Originally my instruments had a blue tinge til i pulled the blue covers off the bulbs, now they're pretty much white... dunno, guess i'll just have to suck it and see.

Up til now i've done all the switches in the centre console, ashtray, cig lighter- they all work well (in case anyone was wanting to go down a similar road.) I think it will work with any colour although i'm not sure about paint- i used this special rubber paint from work...

L

Little Miss Road Rage

U can light up the badge in the centre of the steering wheel with a led we did it on a primera. Let me know if the dash works.

:D Hee hee, centre badge... brilliant...genius!

Anyhoo i've done the gauges and the it looks....... RUBBISH! :lol: They've come out kind of scarlet :?: , which is all pretty and that, but not exactly what i was after. I used the same colour red paint as the switches so i figure that the white backing on the gauges is turning the colour funny.

I would have thought they would turn out pink with a white backing if anything but ho hum...

Options now are try to remove the white backing or scratch it away/
Try to find another colour which turns red when shone thru the white backing.

don't know why i bother...GOD THEY'RE ONLY FU*@ING LIGHTS FOR FU**S SAKE!
Let you know how it goes.

L

Little Miss Road Rage

Haven't had time to do anything to my dash yet all I did was fit my origin b2 snooper, phone in car kit and stereo and off I went. Will play with it soon as my racing season is over and I have more time till I have to build my next race car. Let me know whether I should bother or not with dash.

:roll: Got it! Pink is the colour, apparently... Painted the bulbs pink and- hey presto-Nice and red at night :D but a little pink in half daylight/dusk :cry: :oops: . Just need more powerful bulbs i reckon cos they're a little dim now... not too bad though. What can i say it worksish, though i don't know if you should bother if ur unsure.

Off topic completely, but what u racing Little Miss RR?

Gonna strip the R out or what? :twisted:

L

Little Miss Road Rage

I race a Primera with 200bhp bluebird engine in it. As it only weighs 500kg thats 400bhp per ton!! Can't strip my R out thats my road baby. I did strip a primera down to bear essentials ie front seats and top half of dash to run my blubird engine in and that was a bit like driving a R but in stelth mode! Nobody expected to be blown away by a standard looking family hatch.

:shock: :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :D 8) So, you drive an R for a daily driver, and a Primera for racing?

Sure you got that the right way round? :wink:

200 BHP, that is pure genius m8!

Got any pics of the Primera? i'd love to have a butchers at it. What championship you racing in etc?

:idea: Perhaps we should move this conversation to the motorsport section.....

L

Little Miss Road Rage

I got some pics somewhere but its a bit battered as its been on its roof a couple of times I'll dig them out. I only race for a local club but its good fun.

8) look forward to the snaps- my flatmate and i have a rally Civic project on the go at the moment so it would be interesting to see the preperation of your 'mera.

L

Little Miss Road Rage

Thats nice of you thanks for that I'll try and email them tonight.

8) Very nice. That's assuming there is a car under all that mud in the first picture! :lol:

Thanks for those.

guess i'll try to dig out some pictures of the Civic in return

L

Little Miss Road Rage

Thanks for that. Did u like my parking of my banger?

Look forward to the pics of the civic.