2. 3mm thick tubing y n
3. 16mm elbow flange y n
4. 3mm thick tubing

can someone say whether this'll be ok

Mover to tuning - FAST GUY

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd be tempted to stick with factory flange thicknesses, as if it's good enough for the factory then it should be good enough for you, and it'll be easier to use the factory mountings too. I'm not so sure about the tube thickness tho :oops: but 3mm sounds enough.

A

AndrewD

well are you going to support the turbo weight by brakets or the manifold itself?

if with brackets you can go down to 1.6mm wall thickness and 10mm flanges, dont forget to drill 2 mm oversize holes for the bolts to allow for expansion, and even better than a single piece flange, make em all separate ;)

made my na manifold at 0.9mm mildsteel wall and 10 mm bizmouth-alloy single flanges and its sweet

1000ny

following in this theme, what is the best material to make a high flow manifold out of?

could you use titanium?

and what would you use to shape the pipes, normal pipe bender or mandrel welder?

P

paulrandy

Personally i'd use 1.6mm mild steel as it doesnt crack as bad as stainless.

You could use tittanium but it's an arse to weld (you have to do it inside a tank) and yeah you'd have to mandrel bend it really.

A

AndrewD

it doesnt matter what material you use for flow
yes stainless does get brittle, and if you really have the money go for 'inconel'

realistically, ceramic coated mildsteel is better than straight stainless

stainless is prone to cracking (so is mild but not so bad) just make sure you have a flexible joint after the turbo

you want someone with a mandrel bender FOR THE PARTICULAR THICKNESS AND ID you want. i cant stress that enough. they need the right internal and external dies and right wipers. if you can find someone with a 4 ball die or more, your in happy land

be careful though, you might not find anyone able to bend anything under 1.6mm!

L

Little Erve

paulrandy said:
You could use tittanium but it's an a**e to weld (you have to do it inside a tank).
What's this inside a tank business? just pipe argon through the inside of the manifold when you're welding it etc.. (you could do it).

Also I would have thought a ceramic would be the best thing to make an exhaust out of? seeing as they're good heat insulators.

Are ceramics too brittle or something?

A

AndrewD

thats what inconel is, its a cermaic / metal compound used on most space applications such as exhaust nozzles, plus they also use it in f1 exhausts, BUT its very brittle
it welds, amazingly but can be formed to, only problem is trying to get it

P

Pulldog

Inconel can be very hard to weld i mean i am a fabricator and welder by trade and inconel can be a twat, you can weld it with disimmilar wire but to do a proper job you need to be a welder and useinconel wire and argon with sealed ends, if you dont use argon u'll be left with lack of fusion.

A

AndrewD

PULLDOG said:
Inconel can be very hard to weld i mean i am a fabricator and welder by trade and inconel can be a t**t, you can weld it with disimmilar wire but to do a proper job you need to be a welder and useinconel wire and argon with sealed ends, if you dont use argon u'll be left with lack of fusion.
yes all you need is to purge the inner and make sure you have the right filler rod ;)

no probs hehehe

A

Anonymous

a properly designed and manufactured manifold made out of stainless will last a very long time. 8)

for example

A

AndrewD

yo javier seeing as you work for this company, can i ask a question

which valve duration do you use in calculating your lengths for the exhaust
for pulse tuning

is it
a) exhaust valve open duration
b) exhaust valve open duration - valve overlap duration

this is not a trick question ok ;)

im just curious as i design these babies myself, and ever text ive seen says A, but you could design for both i think if you aim at having in B the pulse arrive at the exhaust port just as the intake valve opens, and then again as the exhaust valve is about to close (A)

what you think?