Inner part of the tyres wearing badly

J

Jon

ok, 7.5 x 17 Oxygin1 rims & 205 x 40 zr17 rubber
the car's lowered on Dow Max springs...35-40mm

just taken the R to get the fronts balanced & he's showed me the wear on the tyre's..quite low on the inner part :?:
He asked me the correct toe-in/out setting in degrees as the car's suspension & wheels have been changed from standard & said he would set the wheel alignment & tracking up for me & the difference in handling would be huge..
er...never had to do this one b4?
so i said i'd be back with the info to set my R up correctly
here's hoping that someone's had to do this or is in the know as i havent a clue :oops:
any help appreciated
Jon

J

J-GTi-R

Ah, well the guy is going just mess up your handling if you let him try and cure that problem.

The inner tyre wear is caused by the factory camber setting at the front (slight negative camber). The camber is unfortunately not adjustable at the front, so it's something you'll just have to live with, even at standard ride height like I'm at. The only solution is to fit Whiteline adjustable camber bolts, or Cusco/Tein adjustable top-mounts (but make sure these are compatible with standard dampers).

GTIR-LOZ

and it is setup with slightly neg camber for a reason, changing this may make the car less grippy on the corners, i have found that correct tyre pressure are better for the wear, 36 psi on the fronts and 34 on the rear seems to be slowing it down a bit, also rotate them regularly, i.e when you do a service, as the rears dont wear on the inner edges

J

jasegould

Could just be the tracking tho, esp if its been lowered and hasnt had the tracking adjusted.

J

Jonny H

ive got 7.5 205/40/17's. initially everything was fine until i had it lowered by 35mm. The inner tyre then began to rub on the suspension cup :cry: at first i thought it was the tracking but turned out that was fine so i had to put 5mm spacers on the back which sorted it out a treat. Dont know if this is a similar problem or not but just thought id try and help :wink:

J

Jon

ok thanks
it never done it on my old 17's but i have had it lowered since i changed them?
Jon, sounds like a good possibility that could be the case
i'll have the tracking done & toe-in + check the struts etc for rub marks

thanks again
Jon