how to replace ur turbo or anything turbo related

Hannie

View attachment 1603

I have had so many turbo related problems from the actuator bursting to the oil return pipe cracking and most recently the dam turbo giving up.. it's a crap of a job doing any work down there but if you want to save urself £££ then heres a how to.

firstly if you have aircon u wont be able to use this method unless u ditch it as I have, I'm afraid that with aircon in the way.. anything turbo related will result in a sore back and ur arms and wrists bent in ways that they were not designed for.

so something has gone wrong in the turbo area!! lets begin

first off make sure the engine is cold..!

1) remove the front bumper. the are 2 screws which hold it on.. yes only 2. to get to them pull the wheel arch protectors out slightly and u'll find the screws right at the edge of the bumper pointing up the way.

2) open the bonnet and remove the left and right indicators, (u'll see why) there is only 1 screw holding them in place and it goes into the head lamp.

3) remove the grill, it should pop out u may have 2 screws but u'll see them easy enough.

4) now, back to where the indicators were, that long strip which goes under the head lamps and fills the gap between that and the bumper needs to be removed, there are 3 screws holding it in place 1 at either side (removing the indicators reveals them) and the other is on the horn assembly.

5) now remove the horn assembly, 2 screws, one at the top and one at the bottom. easy.

6) remove the front slam panel 4 screws in total 2 at either side.

7) remove the front bumper strengthen bar. 4 bolts 2 at either side. the back 2 bolts are a pain to get to u'll need to jack the car up as they are a pain to see.

8) now for the radiator, get a basin to catch the water. remove the fans. remove the pipe on the right hand side going into the radiator, water will now gush out. remove the pipe on the opposite side of the radiator and now the whole radiator should lift out.

9) now the engine side of things, remove the intercooler surround and the intercooler. remove the oil separator and the bracket which holds it in place.

10) remove the intercooler feed pipe which attaches to the turbo. undo the jubilee clip which holds the hard plastic induction pipe.

11) remove the manifold heat shield, unbolt the exhaust from the turbo down pipe. release all the water and oil feeds from the turbo. the water bolts are a size 19mm and the oil feed pipe is a 17mm (I found it best to snap an old 17mm spanner in order to get the oil feed bolt undone.) (do not what ever you do bend the oil feed pipes as you will never get them back in the same place)

12) remove the exhaust manifold studs and voila ur turbo and manifold come out as one.

re fit in the reverse order.

Attachments