How to find out if an R has forged pistons?

K

Kiss my R's!

This probably is a stupid question as I can't figure out how but.... :roll:

If I go to see an R for sale which I have been told has HKS forged pistons, how can I be sure that it has without just taking their word for it? Obviously receipts are handy, but if they were bought a couple of years ago anything could of happened since then really?? i.e engine blown etc and then a standard bottom end just thrown in.

Appoligies if this has come up before but I couldn't find anything related to it.

Cheers,
Az.

paz

Ask the previous owner :lol:

Or find out which tuner fitted them and see if they have anything on file. Receipts for purchase and fitting are your best shot.

Failing that not a lot, with the exception of dismantling the engine - or at least I've not heard of anything.

Paz

C

Crazy

IIRC you nave to take a spark plug out and shine a little light down the spark plug hole to see if the piston has 54C marked on it as I think standard pistons come with these cast marks :wink:

I think :?

Sure somebody will explain it better :)

K

Kiss my R's!

Cheers for the response!

:lol: I don't think the owner would appreciate me taking the sump off in his driveway though! :lol:

I did wonder about the shining a tourch down a plug hole, so thats handy about the 54C marking!

Apparently the previous owner fitted the pistons as he was a mechanic, so there won't be any receipts for the fitting, I assume he'll have the receipt for the pistons though as they were apparently bought from ND.

Cheers,
Az.

O

Odin

Turn the boost up to 2 bar :shock: and see what happen's :wink: :lol: .

Of cause you shouldn't really do that :wink: . I was only jokeing just incase you thought about trying it :roll: .

rob

K

Kiss my R's!

vpulsar said:
Turn the boost up to 2 bar :shock: and see what happen's :wink: :lol:
Funny that! My mate suggested that! :lol:

As for Norris only selling those pistons :?: :? Haven't a clue myself.

R-Type

You may not see the "54c" but standard pistons have a round casting mark on top of the piston. It looks like a washer that is stuck onto the piston & is clearly visible if you shine a torch down the plug hole and get the angle of the light just right.

If you can't see the above and the piston seems to have a "smooth" crown, then it may, more than likely have forged pistons.

A

AJ4

If my pistons had a washer stuck on top of them I'd be a bit worried about the valves hitting it :D The standard ones are dished, round squish area and have the 54c on them.

R-Type

Ross said:
If my pistons had a washer stuck on top of them I'd be a bit worried about the valves hitting it :D The standard ones are dished, round squish area and have the 54c on them.
Round squish area then :lol: . Just trying to put across a simple picture
of what it looked like to me.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Remember that when looking for the 54C... Its stamped on the far side of the piston so have a good look...

Norris will also have a record of the pistons being bought so check with them too.... doesn't mean that they were fitted to that car tho...

Norris use JE pistons...

Rishi

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I was in a similar situation when I bought mine and there were no receipts for pistons but as it was a mechnic mate involved etc etc.

3 months later the piston failed.

If they've not got proof, get money off or walk away as you could be paying for fresh air.

Jim

K

Kiss my R's!

Cool, cheers for the advice guys,

Does anyone have a picture of a standard piston against a forged one? Prefferably a HKS one! :D :roll:

Cheers,
Az.