How far can a stock IC mounted in the front go?

G

gagge

The stock Intercooler mounted in the front of the car, how high boost and how much power do you recon it can handle before it is time to uprate to a bigger one, for example the forge one.

cheers

geetee

I think ppl have run in excess of 300bhp on the standard IC whilst still top mount.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Websnowbo

IMHO Using the standard cooler as a front mount is not going to be as effecient due to the small surface area. The temps are bound to drop lower than as a top mount but not as much as a larger more efficient core. Its a good step up though cos the pipework can then be used for a larger core when funds permit.

G

gagge

Its not really about the funds, But if the stock IC mounted in the front can supply enough cold air when running 1.4bar and making somewhere around 350bhp plus its not necessary to put lets say 500-600 on a big FMIC.

I am just curious to see how far the stock one will work, if it will have troube dealing with 350bhp+ and 1.4bar then I will go for something uprated.

Anyone got more tips, for example, are there any numbers on stock IC in the front and lets say a Forge FMIC, with numbers I mean temprature numbers at different boost settings and bhp settings.

Cheers

Websnowbo

I can't remember off hand but i dont think there has actually been a standard cooler front mounted actually tested........i'm sure it would be ok up to 350bhp........i ran 1.2bar through one top-mounted for about 25k and had no probs. Obviously it just wont cool as well as well as one with a larger surface area, personally i'd just fit an uprated front mount if i had gone to the expense of fitting forgies, managment etc for a piece of mind.

G

gagge

Okey an uprated one it is then, either a forge one och one from the states. Ill se what Ill do.

If you take the intercooler off and look inside you will see why it cant flow much past 300hp.

The fins pitch is to small in my opinion. Theres no way that intercooler can efficiently flow much more than 300hp.

Also the endtanks are a poor design if you think about it the way they are mounted the air will actually go around in circles inside the core :shock: (the angles that the intake from the turbo is mounted creates a cycling of the air around in circles) Have a long look at it and you will see what i mean.

Also visit this site www.are.com.au

Best intercooler info on the net.

ashills

gagge have a look at the jgy website they do a massive IC for reasonable money or they do a good deal on the forge kit

Nad

Didnt Mark Evans get 425 on a FMIC, although he has now changed to an uprated core.

Nad

O

Odin

ashills said:
gagge have a look at the jgy website they do a massive IC for reasonable money or they do a good deal on the forge kit
Yeah they do but your have to wait 7 month's for it though :evil: :roll: .

rob

G

gagge

Nope... I have a really good relationship with shaun at JGY, really good guy and Ive always got my stuff when Ive ordered from him. He will be suppling me with most of my stuff to the car, will bye there JGYBB37 turbo. Seems to be good.

C

Crazy

My mate Duey runs 328bhp at 1.2 bar on his top mounted intercooler so I think they will be O.K at 350bhp at the front :wink:

G

gagge

How about a better radiator is that necessary, what kind of difference would that make, would the engine "feel" better with a "race/sport" radiator?

GINGA

Nad said:
Didnt Mark Evans get 425 on a FMIC, although he has now changed to an uprated core.

Nad
Yes it was something like that but he was also running 125mph terminals on the 1/4 mile which indicates its probably closer to 500bhp :shock:

ashills

i knpow u have grief with getting stuff from jgy V but my last few orders have all been sent very fast and no problems someones ordered one of the big ICs off them recently and its with them already so there isnt a problm getting them i know

G

gagge

as ginga says, they had some problems before but are really fast and really helpful...

GINGA

:shock: I never said that lol
I might use them again soon but will only order if the parts are in stock ready to be shipped straight away