help big ends

topdoggtir

quick answer needed pls

run low on oil for a mile or so, oil light on, now i hear rattling noises, the mechanic didn' fit the crank shaft seal right, now i believe the big ends need replacing, he is willing to go 50/50 on them

how much is this job and how much are the bearings? :cry: :evil:

J

jiw

you shouldnt have to pay a penny mate as its his fault, i believe you have to remove the crankshaft too and get the numbers off it as the shells are graded, also worth checking the journal diameter's incase its been re-ground in the past, this could turn out to be an expensive doo, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You may also be looking at the whole engine/turbo if you've had oil starvation (anywhere there's a bearing)

Did you just run low, or dry? (Oil light on?)

kingy

my big ends have gone,the car is in garage at the moment 750-1000+vat.
Also u had better hope that your mains are alright,if they have been starved of oil and got hot then you could be looking at a bent crank. :shock:

G

GartracS2

THE GRADES ARE STAMPED IN ROMAN NUMERALS ON BOTH THE CRANK JOURNAL AND THE BOTTOM EDGE OF THE CYLINDER BLOCK. THE BEARINGS SHOULD BE PAINTED ETC GREEN OR RED COLOURS DENOTING GRADES. GET A LUMP FROM SALVAGE YARD AND ILL FIT IT ;)

B

Brett G

Mine went.... Second hand lump was the best option for me :roll:

topdoggtir

well he's just told me its £48 plus vat for the bearings, standard or regrinded? He'll find out...Fingers crossed? :cry: :evil: The oil light was on stating oil is low, kept pouring out used 2 botles in a day just to get around the drop it off at garage.

B

Brett G

That light is low oil pressure.... Caused by many things, one of them being the oil level. Its not always a straight forward fix, it depends what you see when you look inside... Fingers crossed for ya mate

Brett

J

jimmymc

i too had this problem. i took a gamble and pulled the sump off and checked the big ends. found number 4 to be fooked put a new set off bearings in, put it back together then went 1/4 mileing! not saying itl work for everyone but it has been well over 1000 miles so far without a hicup! touch wood! :twisted:
cheers jimmy mc.
oh yes and it was a tough one to decide which grade of bearings to go for. i just closed my eyes and stabbed a pen at numbers 1-4! landed on 1! lol

J

jiw

so you knew it was loosing oil but just decided to top it up and carry on driving around, id say it is deserved tbh :?