Have i got brake fade or hot brake judder?

olliecast

well if the disks arent heat treated as standard then i rest my case!

how savage are you guys with your brakes? i`m heavy on mine i must admit.

would you guys just send the disks back?
should`ve just bought some 280mm 4 pots!!!

Last edited:

Animaldaz

Those discs on that site are only £40 a pair!!!! Im not surprised there already goosed. Must be made out of melted down baked bean cans for that price.

youngsyp

GTIR-LOZ said:
i work for mercs and you only see them on sports pack vehicles (prob for looks) and amgs if you look closely at the drill holes they almost all have small cracks forming from them (unless they are new obviously) and the brakes are a hell of a lot thicker than your standard wilwood discs so can prob put up for it for a while
Sorry but, that's not true... You see the crossed drilled disks on the heavier and more powerful Mercs, not just the ones with 'sports packs' or the AMG models. There are S class models parked outside my office everyday and they have cross drilled disks, so did the CL600 I saw yesterday. I've also seen many C class Elegance and Avanguard models with them fitted !
As so do Porsche's, S and RS versions of the Audi's....

Crossed drilled disk cracking (as in proper cracks, that go across the radius of a disk) is a thing of the past. I've had them on my last 4 cars and never once had any cracks appear. My current set of disks is around 10k miles old and they have no cracks !
If you look at un-drilled and un'grooved disks, that have been used extensively, you'll always see surface cracks. It's a result of the metal used to make them and the heat cycling !

The key to cross drilling is not just drill a hole but, shamfer the edge too. And as you said, it also helps if the disks have sufficient thickness to support the cross drilling !

Paul

MarkTurbo

Animaldaz said:
Those discs on that site are only £40 a pair!!!! Im not surprised there already goosed. Must be made out of melted down baked bean cans for that price.
Thats just what i was thinking. What were you expecting to get for £20 per disc :lol:

Have you got any pics of the surface of the discs?

GTIR-LOZ

the avantguarde has sports suspension and brakes as part of the package

i can assure you that every disc i have replaced that has been cross drilled as tiny cracks appearing from the cross drilled holes i never mentioned the whole disc cracks

olliecast

MarkTurbo said:
Thats just what i was thinking. What were you expecting to get for £20 per disc :lol:

Have you got any pics of the surface of the discs?
they were, but they were also guaranteed to be no worse than the manufactuers oem! if that what it states then surely they have to hold themselves to that??

youngsyp

GTIR-LOZ said:
i can assure you that every disc i have replaced that has been cross drilled as tiny cracks appearing from the cross drilled holes i never mentioned the whole disc cracks
I'm not doubting you matey. All well used brake disks (well, not carbon ceramic disks) will have those superficial cracks. As I said above, it's a result of the material used and the heat cycling ! It's not detrimental to the disks performance or safety level !

Paul