Handbrake Cable Replacement

W

webadmin

handbrake cable.jpg

The basic steps are:-

1) remove the centre console - 6 screws and slip the gear lever loose (it slides back, then lifts) - to get the the consol off and over the brake lever you have to lift it from the BACK whilst fiddling around with the front to ease it away from everything. Careful, thoiugh it looks fragile.
2) Remove the two bolts holding the brake lever
3) Slacken off the adjusting nut (a lot!) - all this makes the rest of the job easy.
4) Jack the car up enough so that you can get under the entire mid-to-rear of the car easily. (don't forget axle stands)
5) Slip the front of the cable (the "bobbin"-like fitting) off the linkage - by twisting it 90 degrees outwards then pushing the "bobbin" up through the linkage.
6) Remove the cable by undoing the 3 fixing points. Mine was remarkably easy to do considering it was underneath the car and we all know where the dead woodpidgeons get sprayed, don't we! The hardest fixing is the one that hides behing the propshaft, about 6 inches rear of the linkage. There is also a push-fit bracket just aft of this which got me stumped until I lost my temper and pushed the cable out of it - it just popped out, which is nice.
7) With the cable fixings removed there remains The B'stard. I spent ages trying to get the other end of the cable off at the caliper actuator. Very bad design. Once more my patience wore out and I Just Pushed Damn Hard - and off the thing popped.

Fitting is a reverse job. Make sure that when you tighten up the adjusting nut you ENSURE that there is no drag at the relevant wheel. This can take some time to get right.