funny clutch pedal creaking noise

A

Anonymous

my clutch is a bit funny when I press down it is very tight it comes up slow stays there for a bit and makes a very annoying creaking noise.I replaced the master clylinder myself not so long ago but unsure whats wrong with it.The clutch pedal seems to be a bit flimpsy and mnot very repsonsive.Clutch is not high or anything and I have a standadrd car.Can anyone help?

GINGA

Its probably just the whole shell flexing :wink: best solution is to just take a corner as fast as you can :wink:

J

jasegould

If you do a search youll find loads of info on this problem, its usually the pedal box flexing and then breaking off completely, which then requires welding...common problem.....get a strenghtening bracket aswell

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Clutch Pedal Bracket is coming away from the bulkhead... Get a stonger one fitted...

A

Anonymous

hey,

Can you give me more info than that? How can the bulkhead be made of fibreglass, that have no strength. So surely welding a stronger bracket will still put strain on the bulkhead if theres no solid material in it other than fibreglass? How would i go about geting this done? Is there a bracket that you can buy or do i have to get 1 fabricated?

As much info as you can give me will be appreciated.

Cheers Kev.

geetee

Look for Steve Pudney on this forum - he makes up clutch reinforcing brackets.... although I'm not sure that'll cure it reading all this stuff about fibreglass bulkheads

unless it stabilises the clutch pedal box against some other part of the chassis?

Cheers
GeeTee

S

seanleed

Whitey said:
hey,

Can you give me more info than that? How can the bulkhead be made of fibreglass, that have no strength. So surely welding a stronger bracket will still put strain on the bulkhead if theres no solid material in it other than fibreglass? How would i go about geting this done? Is there a bracket that you can buy or do i have to get 1 fabricated?

As much info as you can give me will be appreciated.

Cheers Kev.
They're taking the mickey :!: :!: :!:
reliant robins have a fibreglass shell.

S

Sunny Nutter

its a dash out job,
In order for the clutch pedal to give its lever principle it needs to be secured at the top behind your clocks, however its quiet common for this point to fatigue and crack away from the bulkhead!
its easy enough to fix, once the dash is out, fabricate a new mount, screw it and weld it and bob's your uncle!

E

Edd

does it matter you'll flog the car on soon enough :wink:

Just fit a clutch support bracket :wink:

S

Sunny Nutter

jasegould2002 said:
Take the dash out :shock: Do it with the dash in!!
you can try if your a part-time gynocologist :lol: :lol: :lol:
I found it alot easier to remove the dash...30 minutes will have it out!

S

Sunny Nutter

its a easy enough to make
get a strip of 1/4" mild steel

your going to fit it between the clutch pedal height adjustment bolt locknut and a bolt beside it on the steering column,
measure it drill suitable sizes for the bolts and it will require a bit of twisting and a grinding on the end to fit!

J

jasegould

jasegould2002 wrote:
Take the dash out Do it with the dash in!!

you can try if your a part-time gynocologist
I found it alot easier to remove the dash...30 minutes will have it out!
Ive repaired 2 with the dash in now......not that bad, the first one took about 3 hours of head scratching and 5 mins of welding...just keep an extinguisher handy :wink: I do remove the pedal box so depends if you fancy removing the pedal box or the dash :?

N

nitrousdave

Mine was doing doing that so i took it to nissan, they said that my clutch bearing was sticking so they fixed it. cost about 36 quid.
Be careful though, cos when i went back to pick it up, some monkey was flying down the road in mine in the opposite direction to the garage.
:shock: