Fun at oulton park(kind of)

MarkTurbo

I've been doing trackdays for about 7 years now and my engine has done 132,000 miles and never been rebuilt, like others have said cooling is the main issue and an oil cooler is needed 100% ;-)

I'm running a standard turbo at its limit so probably around 320/330 bhp. I've got a uk spec radiator (thicker than the standard jap one) and a 19 row oil cooler and oil temps rarely go above 100 degrees even in a 20 min session.

I only ever use mobil 1 motorsport 15/50 oil in my engine too, yeah its expensive but not compared to an engine rebuild ;-)

steve963

I've been doing trackdays for about 7 years now and my engine has done 132,000 miles and never been rebuilt, like others have said cooling is the main issue and an oil cooler is needed 100% ;-)

I'm running a standard turbo at its limit so probably around 320/330 bhp. I've got a uk spec radiator (thicker than the standard jap one) and a 19 row oil cooler and oil temps rarely go above 100 degrees even in a 20 min session.

I only ever use mobil 1 motorsport 15/50 oil in my engine too, yeah its expensive but not compared to an engine rebuild ;-)
good lad

bob the builder

well only 2 sleeps left till i can found out whats gone wrong. hopefully nothing too bad, and easy to fix.
might be in touch soon Bob for some spares,hopefully not a new engine,lmao.oh and a oil cooler

red reading

I use mobil 1 15/50 oil (very highly rated oil) as it is what it says, Castrol was sued by the US goverment for lying about there oil (they were not true full synthetic).

Mark you have now tempted fate and your engine will die!:lol:

bob the builder

shroom

would it be easier to buy a short block to get you on your way? as i know good cranks are hard to come by

sounds like you have been having some good fun :) reguardless hope you get it back and running soon

P

pulsarboby

basically its a bottom half engine complete so you just bolt your head onto it

forget using that crank bob as it wont last you five minutes before it starts knocking again, be a waste of money for the shells etc and a complete waste of time altogether

bob the builder

bugger, i kinda knew that but just wanted to bury my head in the sand as i knew it was gonig to cost. big fat arse head.
oh well think i will pull the engine out tomorrow and start stripping it.

P

pulsarboby

just sent return pm bob....yes unfortunately you have no other choice but to drop the lot!
its one thing that you cannot lash up

bob the builder

where can i get a set of standard rings and pistons and some conrod bearings, is it nissan only.
will it be worth regrinding the crank or just bin it and get a good second hand one.(from you bob)
also new seals

P

pulsarboby

rings are either nissan or erics in the states, same with the bearings, either use acl or oe nissan ones

crank will be unservicable and only fit for scrap. besides its really not a good idea using a ground crank for a track based car as it will not last you long at all.
il see how many cranks i have in stock tomorrow but tbh i dont like selling them as we buy them in to use in our engine builds and havent got many, they are very very difficult to get hold of in standard good condition.
if your stuck though i will flog one on to you so at least you can get your car on the oc trackday

bob the builder

cheers bob much appreciated, will give nissan a ring tomorrow and see what the damage is.
just need to keep the misses sweet now so i can spend some money.

bob the builder

well got the engine stripped down today.looks like there was only 2 conrod shells that were ok and 1 main shell that didnt have some damage.
but on the plus side everything else looks ok,