Fuel Pump

tomble

Hello everyone, car wont start, its definately not getting any fuel... should i be able to hear the fuel pump doing its bit with the ignition on? (i have the carpet up and cover off investigating) its a standard pump btw, i guess it needs to be re-grounded?

i have no ameter/multimeter to test voltages at the moment and i have used the search function, but none of the hits mentioned anything about being able to hear the pump to see if its working..

hope that makes sense,

tom :D

tomble

the fuse box on the left hand side of the engine bay has fuel pump written on the lid, but its obviously not a normal fuse (forgive me for not knowing the name of it i dont do electronics) is that likely to have blown? there doesnt seem an easy way of splitting it to check :S

tom

OZ-Racing

tomble said:
the fuse box on the left hand side of the engine bay has fuel pump written on the lid, but its obviously not a normal fuse (forgive me for not knowing the name of it i dont do electronics) is that likely to have blown? there doesnt seem an easy way of splitting it to check :S

tom
I'm no expert, but I think that's a relay. There have been some similar posts to this recently and iirc you should hear the fuel pump spin-up for a few seconds when the ingition is turned (but engine not fired).

Here: http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?t=37715

T

Toady

yeah thats the fuel pump relay. check if thats working. If you put the ignition onto the 2nd click you will hear the pump start working. Take the inlet pipe to the fuel rail off to check that fuel is getting there.

geetee

Mine did the same thing a while back - turned out to be major resistance on the earth wire. Re-earthed it by the rear light cluster and no probs since.

I'd tell you which wire it is but it's dark outside :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

C

crackerjack

pulling an old post up but I have just rebuilt my gearbox, turbo and new clutch so car has been off the road for awhile.. was running fine with fuel before hand... Now when I turn the key i dont hear the fuel pump and no fuel comes out the feed line int he engine bay. Have checked the relay and its ok. Just seems like the pumps not getting power.. lots of you mention earthing or something but dont really mention where from ont he pump and where to if your battery is still in the front. and lots of the links about this issue are dead... anyone offer some advice to a desperate man? :cry:

Paul

CruiseGTi-R

Under the fuel pump cover in the boot you'll find two or three connectors, can't remember. But as you look at the connectors as if standing peering into the boot the connector you want is the leftmost one.

Check this plug for voltage (you'll only see voltage when you initially turn ignition on or if car is running).

If thats fine then it could be the wires going from the plug to the pump are corroded/come loose. Then it'll be time to get your hand in the tank and pull the pump out to check it.

Try not to smoke whilst doing it.

Shaun

crackerjack said:
pulling an old post up but I have just rebuilt my gearbox, turbo and new clutch so car has been off the road for awhile.. was running fine with fuel before hand... Now when I turn the key i dont hear the fuel pump and no fuel comes out the feed line int he engine bay. Have checked the relay and its ok. Just seems like the pumps not getting power.. lots of you mention earthing or something but dont really mention where from ont he pump and where to if your battery is still in the front. and lots of the links about this issue are dead... anyone offer some advice to a desperate man? :cry:

Paul
Just make sure you havnt mixed the Crankangle sensor plug up with the reverse switch plug as i believe this is a common mistake.

Shaun

I re-wired my fuelpump the day before yesterday just to rule this out with a flatspot i have,anyway it was so easy to do i used an amplifier powerlead(fused),and got me a relay from my local motorfactors :thumbsup: ,re-earthed it and i have now got 13.90volts at the pump with the engine running :thumbsup: 8) .

C

crackerjack

Shaun said:
Just make sure you havnt mixed the Crankangle sensor plug up with the reverse switch plug as i believe this is a common mistake.
But even if it were mixed up that wouldnt stop the fuel pump priming when the key is clicked around to just power would it?

Also thanks heaps for the help people... time for me to try re earthing it.

Where abouts did you re-earth it to aswell? like just a sanded metal area with a bolt through in the boot somewhere?

As for getting into the fuel tank.. already done that, plugged in a spare fuel pump and same result... also thanks for the advice on not smoking around the fuel tank.. that was a close one :lol:

Paul

Shaun

crackerjack said:
But even if it were mixed up that wouldnt stop the fuel pump priming when the key is clicked around to just power would it?
Not sure mate,but put it this way how long is it going to take for you to check?Could save you alot of grief.Have you checked your relays and fuses?

tomble

My problem turned out to be the ECU not getting any power (bad connection to relay iirc)

sorry for not relaying my findings sooner heh

Tom