fuel pump..... how would i know if its gone?

V

vtec

my car starts up and as soon as it does it dies straight away. AA man said its the fuel pump, any ideas plz?

J

JamesB

Did it have any probs before it had this issue - ie coughing/hesitating when on boost. Id check your fuel filter as a start

V

vtec

it had a serious loss in power, i thought it was because it needed servicing. when i put my foot down i would feel like it had a delay between mid revs

Kingy69

Just an idea but the pump is so easy to get to you can easily check it.All you need to check it is a bit of cable as long as your car,even speaker cable is ok to test it as there is hardly any current at all so it wont do any harm.Then a piece of hose to push on the fuel line....Short section of any pipe will do as long as it clamps down ok on the feed.Put the pipe into the bucket and just put your wires on your battery then remove the plug for the pump and dab the wires on the connections in the cap.
You will soon get an idea if the fuel is being fed ok and you can also remove the return pipe and do the same and this will show that the system is flowing clear.Hope this makes some sense....very simple but checks for the problem and if your buckets clean you can hold on to that all expensive fuel and return it to where it belongs,No one can afford to waste it.
One other thing is to just check before putting your wires on which is ground and which is live.Just unscrew the cap and have a quick look.

C

chris-b

bloody hell be carefull with fuel and sparking wires together! mega boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmm!
christ!
boys with there halfords toolkits! lol :lol: :wink:

Kingy69

As long as his tool kit isnt from halfords all will be ok!!!!Not saying it is.
Put some spade connectors on the ends if your scared but the fuel is nowhere near the wires....So if your plug shorted that would mean your car would blow up,electrics and petrol are a perfect mix to cure the problem...Its where the fire claim comes into play on your policy.

One thing to say is the point of doing it this way and not going from the fuse box or relay is that it tests the pump and the pump only

geetee

:shock: wtf......

Don't do this in your boot with the cover off your tank :shock:

Electricity IN petrol is fine, it doesn't conduct.

Sparks from touching connectors in a heady mixture of Optimax vapours in the enclosed space of your boot..... different thing. :roll:

Disconnect the battery.

Remove the pump from the tank....... completely.

If you have jump leads - use them to provide power from your battery to a safe distance to the pump.

Use a bit of pipe into a normal 5 litre fuel can for the feed and pipe the output into another fuel can.

Make the last connection at the battery, so any sparks are away from the can of fuel.

Time how long it takes to drain the can.

Walbro's a 255 lph (litres per hour)

So it should take about a minute to drain ur 5 litre can.

I doubt it's the pump though. More likely a blocked pick up or filter.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

J

JamesB

If your pump is all but completely shagged if will flow fine to an extent. Under pressure (ie 3bar at idle) will be a whole different story. Get a fuel pressure gauge or get a mechanic to check it for you. And again, check/replace your filter - its the first thing you should do to save time.

If you do any of the above fuel flow tests, remember its the vapour that explodes, not the liquid fuel itself. The fuel fumes are heavier than air so they will be evident right thru your car for days - get a fan blowing air thru while your working inside your car if you have the top off your fuel tank.

Oh, p.s. Dont smoke around it either :wink:

Kingy69

Half the people on this site are scared of fuel.....do you clear the garage out when you fill up with fuel incase someone comes in with there exhaust hanging down and makes a few sparks and blows the place up.
The cap only needs to be removed if you are unsure of your plus and minus...you can tell the polarity from the plug if you can see the wire colours.
taking the feed off and putting a bit of pipe to a bucket will not even produce enough fumes to explode.All you need to do is use the connections where the pump plugs in on the top.
Get over to france and you will all be sat in bunkers because they smoke in there garage forecourts!!!!!!!!!!!!

geetee

Obviously a garage forecourt is open air, so the concentration of vapours will be very low.

The boot of your car is a confined space and the vapours can build up to a high enough concentration to explode.

When you pull the feed pipe off the connector, there will still be pressure in the pipe and you WILL end up with a nice little pool of petrol in your boot - that will soak into the carpet and foamy bits and stink for weeks.

Take the fuel pump fuse out then turn the car over to release the pressure in this pipe before you pull it off the connector.

Cheers
GeeTee

8) 8)

antgtir

geetee said:
Obviously a garage forecourt is open air, so the concentration of vapours will be very low.

The boot of your car is a confined space and the vapours can build up to a high enough concentration to explode.

When you pull the feed pipe off the connector, there will still be pressure in the pipe and you WILL end up with a nice little pool of petrol in your boot - that will soak into the carpet and foamy bits and stink for weeks.

Take the fuel pump fuse out then turn the car over to release the pressure in this pipe before you pull it off the connector.

Cheers
GeeTee

8) 8)
Im confined spaces trained now lol so i agree with you mate, i would rather take a few extra minutes or hours to remove the risk of being blown to bits lol, no digs or anything each to their own i say but me i stay well away from that kindof danger. :shock:

Ant.

geetee

how I recommend others to do things in threads like this is often different from how I might tackle things myself. but I know what the risks are and make a judgement call on it - so I may choose to risk blowing myself up to save an hours work, but I would never suggest shortcuts to anyone else unless I was sure they understood the the associated risks.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Kingy69

Everyone has there own opinion i agree but i have done this on three different cars and none stink of fuel all still worked and no one ever got blown up.
i agree with what your saying about the fumes but cant say that a boot open on a car vented to atmosphere is really going to contain the fumes like made out.
The particles caused by petrol are lighter than air thus causing them to rise pretty rapid.Unless you splash petrol everywhere or seal yourself in a confined space i cant see this problem happening.
I work with gas/fumes and electrics every day and if i thought it was as dangerous as made out i wouldnt even suggest it.Also if i was as worried as some people are i dont think i would ever get any work done.

geetee

I think you'll find a lot of petrol vapours are heavy and sink rather than rise.

Anyway, I think this thread has gone way off topic :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Kingy69

it is well off topic i agree....Buy a new pump then you are 100%

Is that really true about petrol vapours because i have always been led to believe they rise otherwise surely they would never go!They would probably linger at first but they do break down fast and would soon break down in the atmosphere.
Really not sure though but then again i dont work for BP.

geetee

The highly volatile components evaporate off quickly and rise.

Most of the rest evaporates but sinks until dispersed by air movement.

I learnt this to my expense trying to light a large bonfire with 2 cans of unleaded. :shock:

Poured the petrol all over the pile of wood, waited about 5 minutes for it to "soak in" and lobbed a firelighter on it from about 10 feet away......

wuumph.... pile of wood goes up - but also this kind of sea of bluish flames rapidly spreading away from the base of the fire about 2 - 3 inches high off the floor. I legged it but it over took me about 30 feet away from the fire and did a good job of removing all my leg hair and kind of shredded the thin trousers I was wearing..... I guess some vapours were trapped in my trouser legs too. :lol:

Won't be doing that again 8)

I rest my case :)

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Kingy69

Just like to say you are right im wrong.Gas is a lot worse and i thought this was just because it has such a high flammable band when mixed with air....meaning it doesnt clear very quick.
Petrol is heavier but the vapours will only ignite for a short space of time because the ratio of the mix to air is a low % so breaks down pretty quick and then becomes harmless.
But just admitting i was wrong!!!