fuel pump and tank vacuum

Dooie Pop Pop

when i first bought my R it had a standard fuel pump. when opening the fuel cap there would be a vacuum hiss.
i had a walbro fitted some time ago and the hiss stopped.
at the time i did wonder about this a bit, i thought the screw top on the tank may have been loose but on trying to move it by hand it appeared to be tight.
decided to have a look at it today with regards to re-wiring the pump and found that the dip that the two wires were in had a bit of petrol in it it :shock: i filled the car thursday. myself nor anyone thats been in the car has noticed a smell of petrol :? i guess if there' s a vacuum leak in the lid it' d suck air into the tank right :?:

now as stated i didnt fit the pump, this is because im a numpty that wants to live :wink: i took a hammer and a blunt non metallic object to the lid and knocked it round a further 2/3' s of a turn.
is this likely to have been the problem or is there anything else to look for?

stu

antgtir

I haven't got the uprated pump but i too get the hiss when the cap is taken off, certainly sounds to me you've got a bit of a leak :?

Do you have to seal the screw top ontop of the tank? If so have they done this?

MarkTurbo

If none of the pipes on top the tank are leaking undo that plastic screw top on top the tank and check that the rubber seal is seated properly :wink:

Dooie Pop Pop

MarkTurbo said:
If none of the pipes on top the tank are leaking undo that plastic screw top on top the tank and check that the rubber seal is seated properly :wink:
:oops: i guess you right, i didn' t know there was a seperate seal :roll: cheers Mark

stu